+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended line for Sage Xp 5wt?

Default Recommended line for Sage Xp 5wt?

Suggestions for the above would be appreciated...

I always use a Dt line on my 5wgt's. I thnk that it is the right line for about 90 percent of the fishing that will be done with a 5 wgt rod. Ron

What applications are you going to be using the rod/line for saflyfish?

------------------
    JME
    @===----?----?----?
    Member of B.A.S.S [url=http://www.ukbass.com:9fdc3]http://www.ukbass.com[/url:9fdc3]

I need to be able to cast far...so im looking for a distance line

Our RPLX 5wt get used for lots of stuff around here....stripers to steelhead to shad to bass to bluegills. It does a grand job tossing everything from floaters to LC, full lines and shooting heads. The head system gives us the most distance and column coverage versatility. We do enjoy the full lines for pond hopping and target shooting. It tosses heads up to 9wt well and full lines to an 8wt well. 5wt lines seem like a vacation on it.
    ....lee s.

For a line that's a little heavy and designed for general usage, I would suggest the SA GPX, or the Rio Grand. Both are designed to fully load faster rods.

My choice would be the SA XXD (old Distance taper) or Cortland 444 Precision Trout Stillwater. Both of these have a front heavy shortish belly with a 20+' rear taper. The SA line has the longer total belly and longer front taper. The Cortland line has a color change at the 30' mark for reference.

A WF Rio Grand line for the XP.

------------------
    "The years of searching in the dark for the truth that one feels but cannot express, the intense desire and the alternations of confidence and misgivings until one breaks through the clarity and understanding are known only to him who has himself experienced them" - Albert Einstein

Nice to have "Some" of the rest of the story. Use a head system and learn to double haul the line and you will do ok. But I think a 5wgt is to light in my book for a lot of distance casting. you are beating the rod and yourself by using that light of a rod for distance. I would go with no less than a 6wgt and probably use an 8 for most o that type of fishing. But again you didn't say what type of fish the rod would be used for? Or why you need to cast so far? When people ask questions like this they need to fill in the blanks so that people know what and how they plan on using things. It sure helps in giving an answer to there question's. Ron

Sage performance taper would work great. The already mentioned GPX or Rio Grand are also good choices. All three are heavier than the normal line weight.

Sage equator taper in 5 wt if they still make it. Line is super durable and stiff casts great on this rod.

+ Reply to Thread