+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fly tyers dungeon

Default fly tyers dungeon

The thread on the warm water forum about tying puglesi style minnows got me all excited and I had to order material. I followed one of the links in the thread to the fly tyers dungeon, and started to browse their selection. Not what I would call a huge line of materials, but they had just the things that i was looking for. I noticed the free shipping on orders over $50 so i started buying everything i thought i might need to tie all kinds of flies. I ordered a promo pack of the legs alive material which turned out to be like luma legs, every color of congo hair that I thought i might need, bunches of hanked flash material that was very similar to flashabou accent, some dubbing that was on sale, more flash that think was called pearl web, and a finer synthetic fiber that I can't recall the name of. I looked at my shopping cart for the total, fully prepared to trim my order down so that i was closer to 50 bucks...I WASN"T EVEN AT $40 YET!!!! I had to go back, order more and after nearly giving up finally ordered a fly box for $6 to push the total above $50.

I received my material today, ant was amazed at the amount of stuff i received. All of it was very nicely packaged, and exactly as i expected it to be. I hope to find my camera tomorrow and take a picture of the giant pile of stuff i got for my money.

Fish
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Oh man I'm jealous. Just sent an order off to feather-craft for 250 bucks but I got A LOT of material and a bunch of tungsten beads. I should be set till next winter I would imagine.

hugefish,

Did you get one of the H2O fly boxes? If so, what do you think? They look a lot like C&F and certainly much cheaper. In particular I'm wondering how the foam slits compares to C&F for holding flies.

Smile Fly Boxes

I got the H20 Fly Boxes and I think they're a steal. The C & F boxes are way overpriced. I think these compare favorably. Remember this, though, if a box holds 380 flies and you lose it, you lose 380 flies. I love the boxes but I don't fill them for that reason. I usually tie a dozen of a pattern I use regularly and carry 6.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hugefish_80 View Post
    The thread on the warm water forum about tying puglesi style minnows got me all excited and I had to order material. I followed one of the links in the thread to the fly tyers dungeon, and started to browse their selection. ..............
    I received my material today, ant was amazed at the amount of stuff i received. All of it was very nicely packaged, and exactly as i expected it to be. I hope to find my camera tomorrow and take a picture of the giant pile of stuff i got for my money.

Fish

And here we find the reason that we all have boxes and boxes of tying materials, Fish I hope you use all of it and need to order more of each. I think sometimes we should change the saying about a kid in a candy store to a Tier in a fly shop.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 03-03-2009 at 02:48 PM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I got his x-mas box last year and was very surprised at the amount of material in there for the price. Real good value for money.

My Dad used to call that being "bargain poor"...and believe me I've got first hand experience.

Thanks for the opinion duckster. I know what you mean about putting all you flies in one box. I typically do the same as you and only put a few of each in my box. I think I'll need to pick up one of those fly boxes.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I wish people would stop posting sites like this, I just checked the site out added it to my favorites and am trying to figure out where to get the $50 to avoid the shipping charges,

Great site great prices,

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Exclamation

Eric ... 50$ bucks!! You should see the bills when my Liliane decides she wants to do full dress classic atlantic salmon flies!!! We go to the local shop about TWICE per week.

So far, it's "cost" 2 griffin vices, +100 salmon hooks ... and the materials. Who knew that 2 feathers could cost over 10 bucks!!!

Then again, ... we usually tie at the same time ... she does the classics, I do the trout and "production" flies. Paulo, the owner is jealous of us.

This will get real interesting when she discovers the other side of the shop (where the fishing equipment is !!!)
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread