+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/4th inch hollow punch

Hybrid View

Default 3/4th inch hollow punch

I've been wanting to find a 3/4" and maybe even a 1" hollow punch that I can put in my drill press or hand drill to punch flip-flops.

Yes I know you can make one out of copper/brass tubing but putting in a stem so it will go into the drill is a pain...I know ...I've done it with a 5/8" brass tube.

And I know you can order them but I don't want them bad enough for the price and shipping...haven't found any in a store I can walk into...plus I'd have to ask my buddy to turn the handle down on his lathe...actually he'd be glad to do that.

Well I came up with an idea using a hole saw I had.

If anyone is really interested I'll go into more detail and do a picture.

ducksterman,

What about a heavier walled pipe with the end sharpened and strike with a hammer.

Leo C

Duckster...

I'm really interested...

Took me an hour to turn down my Harbor Freight 1/2 inch punch to fit my drill press...used a wood lathe and a file...worked, not ideal.

I have some hole saws so..please enlighten us (or, err, me)?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I think I am missing something here. That is not unusual for me. It seems it would be easy to turn a piece of pipe into a hole punch with a drill. Any pipe....with a fitting length of dowel, and a cheap drill bit....or one of them extra drill bits most of us have for screwdriving etc....drill the drill bit down into the dowel....remove it....coat it with Gorrilla Glue and drop some gorilla glue into the hole. Seat the drill bit into the hole in the dowel and let it set up.

In other words glue the dowel into the pipe as deep as you want to. Have maybe 1/2" of the dowell sticking up...or none at all I think. Then glue the drill bit into the dowel with the butt end sticking out to mount it into the drill. Now you just mount it on the drill with the butt end of the drill bit. That is just plain too simple. Something must be missing in my interpretation of the problem here.

This sounds too easy and you guys would of thought of this already. So I am pretty sure I don't know what I am thinking about on this one.

Gemrod

This is what you want. They are called "Arch Punch". Use them on a lead block to protect the cutting edge.

http://www.smallparts.com/s?searchNo...D=206004544521

Sorry for the long link. It is just the way I copied it from the page.

fishbum

Fishbum...price is an issue

Gemrod...did the 3/8 " pretty much as you described...and not having any centering equipment being on center became an issue...it was somewhat hard to get the 1/4" bolt shaft [that's what I happened to use] on center.

I managed to get it real close but I don't want to fuss with it if there's another way.

Buddy...working on photos.....Gem as long as I'm taking photos I'll do one of what you described...

Leo...doesn't work well on foam
    Last edited by ducksterman; 03-03-2009 at 03:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread