+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help ...

PM found and responded to!! Thank you!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Wink

Hi Betty,
    I ran into the same problem with a 7 1/2' Lami blank. I got the CRA reel seat from REC with the maximum custom bore. It wound up fitting perfectly, but I was ready to file out the butt end of the seat to make the steep taper fit. I think jgestar has it dialed in just right. It will be tight, but it should fit very well with plenty of room for glue.
    I'm just tickled that I have the chance to forward some valuable information to a PRO rod builder.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Thanks for the good laugh, Joe!! I did order the CRN for the 763 and the CRNS for the 502, with matching wood inserts. Will head to the hardware store today for a fine rat tail file, none of the ones I have now would be small enough for this project! Depending on the colors of the wood (gotta see it when it gets here ... each is so different) the thread wraps will be in the claret/cranberry line. Excited to see how they progress.

Would like to try the spigot type extension, with the cutting off of part of the blank, but that's got to wait till I find a REALLY inexpensive blank to try it on!!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Default Enlarging/tapering

I never could file out a round hole, always lopsided. If you have an old blank of a suitable diameter, apply some adhesive backed sand paper and ream away. Clean out the seat well, the loose grit left behind can come back to haunt you.

Default Good ideas, Betty!

I've been at the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo so I've missed all the hoopla about the insert bore.

You received good advice and I'm impressed! I'd probably hit it with the rat tail file too.

Thinking about this, I just wanted to warn folks to be careful if they attempt to hand drill these bores to a large diameter. These hard woods break easily. If you need to drill it, results will be better with a drill press, rather than a hand drill.

Ron

Betty, before Ron started handling the DB blanks, I got one from Cortland, and was flabbergasted at how big the butt was - like mine!
    Anyway, I called Cortland and they supplied me with a nice seat that fit fine.

I didn't know they had that service!! And I think I covered their web site pretty closely! Wow! Did order a REC, and am curious to see what it's like ... should be here by weeks end.

+ Reply to Thread