+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aging Eyes

Default Aging Eyes

As I get older it becomes more of a challange to thread a 7X leader through a size 24 fly. There are a number of gagets on the market that are supposed to make doing that a lot easier. Can anyone recommend one of these that they particularly like? Thanks...

I have my wife thread the tippet through the small flies for me. Her eyes are 11 years younger than mine. Best fly fishing gadget I ever found.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

This one has been recommended by many people on this board, I haven't tried it yet as my eyes still aren't quite that bad.

http://flyreeldots.com/page/1dvfn/We..._Threader.html

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I've seen the threader that Eric refers to in the link above, but I've never tried it.

Here's a link on our very own FAOL that somehow seems appropraite: www.flyanglersonline.com/lighterside/doncianca/dc5.php

I took to using the C&F threaders for all of my small flies. I thread the flies on the threaders before leaving home (using a magnifier) and they work pretty well on the stream. Here's a link to the C&F site http://candfdesign.com/product/12752...d_Threader_Box but you can find them at a lot of different fly shops.
    Last edited by Vulture6; 03-02-2009 at 09:40 PM.
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

Since there is more to aging eyes than threading flies, I recommend you either get a pair of Hat Eyes clip on magnifiers or a pair of cheap readers.

It's SO nice to also be able to untangle knots, read your watch, tippet spool, or look at a bug. A threading gadget won't help with any of that and I find the Hat Eyes make threading any size tippet through any size fly a breeze as long as you buy the right magnification for you.

I use the threader box that Vulture6 has a link to in his post. I love it!

I suspect most folks don't get enough magnification if they use readers on the water.

I use 3.25 to 3.50 on the water...When on the water a short focal length is not a problem ...in a way helpful.

2.25 to 2.50 for average reading

Less than that when on the computer

And when I tie I use a head loop that has several magnifications.

It's just what works for me .

I have worked shows with Dot Man & the threader he carries does indeed work. We would show folks how it worked, they would try it & were sold. I have one hanging from my vest & it serves me well.
    Again, http://flyreeldots.com/
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Default Get new eyes...

Well, you can't do that realistically but you can get an exam and a lot of times there's a surgical remedy for 'lessening' vision. I'll do it when the time comes.

MontanaMoose

Google Hat-Eyes. Made by Mag-Eyes. Best I've found and I love 'em. I use them on stream for threading small tippet through small eyes, and I use them while tying small flies.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread