Yesterday, at long last, I had the opportunity to view Kathy Scott's DVD on making furled leaders. It is very well done, and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who interested in furling their own leaders.

There is an alternative to the method of finishing a furled leader with a loop at either or both ends as shown in Kathy's DVD, using a technique which is, I believe, simpler than the one shown by Kathy. It is the one I learned from the fellow who taught me the furling technique that I use ( which is quite different than Kathy's ).

Just a couple comments about the photos and this shorb loop technique. First, the illustration refers to a "lasso". That is made in the butt end by pulling the tip end of the furled leader through the collected loops which make up the butt end and pulling the leader through those loops until a small "lasso" is formed at the butt end of the leader. It is made in the tip end by pulling the butt end through the collected loops which make up the tip end and pulling the leader through those loops until a small "lasso" is formed at the tip end of the leader.

The next photo explains how to use a piece of mono rather than a splicing needle to make the "lasso" and what the finished shorb loop looks like.

As a precaution, it is well advised to slip a piece of thread or wire through the collected loops on either end of the leader to keep them all together when removed from their peg or post. If you incorporate a tip ring in tip end of the leader before you start the twisting / furling process, that will keep the collected loops on that end secure. And it certainly makes forming the "lasso" simpler.

John

P.S. I realize this technique may have been posted before and / or may be familiar to most folks who furl their own leaders. For those who are not familiar with it, it might simplify the finishing part of the furled leader process.