+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Furled Leaders - Shorb Loop

Default Furled Leaders - Shorb Loop

Yesterday, at long last, I had the opportunity to view Kathy Scott's DVD on making furled leaders. It is very well done, and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who interested in furling their own leaders.

There is an alternative to the method of finishing a furled leader with a loop at either or both ends as shown in Kathy's DVD, using a technique which is, I believe, simpler than the one shown by Kathy. It is the one I learned from the fellow who taught me the furling technique that I use ( which is quite different than Kathy's ).

Just a couple comments about the photos and this shorb loop technique. First, the illustration refers to a "lasso". That is made in the butt end by pulling the tip end of the furled leader through the collected loops which make up the butt end and pulling the leader through those loops until a small "lasso" is formed at the butt end of the leader. It is made in the tip end by pulling the butt end through the collected loops which make up the tip end and pulling the leader through those loops until a small "lasso" is formed at the tip end of the leader.

The next photo explains how to use a piece of mono rather than a splicing needle to make the "lasso" and what the finished shorb loop looks like.

As a precaution, it is well advised to slip a piece of thread or wire through the collected loops on either end of the leader to keep them all together when removed from their peg or post. If you incorporate a tip ring in tip end of the leader before you start the twisting / furling process, that will keep the collected loops on that end secure. And it certainly makes forming the "lasso" simpler.

John

P.S. I realize this technique may have been posted before and / or may be familiar to most folks who furl their own leaders. For those who are not familiar with it, it might simplify the finishing part of the furled leader process.
    The fish are always right.

The end loops no matter how I try to do them are killing me and my stiff fingers. I WILL NOT GIVE UP
    Remember we all live down stream

Here we are, om years ago;,, years ago.
    http://colo2.flyanglersonline.com/pr...kathyscott.php
    You guys just gotta read these things!

Quote Originally Posted by scubatim View Post
    The end loops no matter how I try to do them are killing me and my stiff fingers. I WILL NOT GIVE UP
    Kathy uses the dowel....I could not get the hang of that either...so I put a dowel in my VISE plate. I put the thumb tack in the top of the dowel. I don't use the paper clip anymore as it was too big for my liking. So, now I stick a piece of wire on the tippet end before I furl. Just fold the wire in half.
    Now once it is furled, and I have the tack in the dowel, I thread the folded wire through the loop on the Thumb Tack, pulling all the leader through forming the loop.
    I now remove the thumbtack and slide the loop over the down and proceed to form the Shorb loop like Kathy does, but the dowel can't move and is vertical instead of Horizontal.

I guess we all adapt to what works better for us, but KATHY was the reason I even try.

Here's how Warren and I do it. I finally took some step by step photos that I've wanted to do for some time.

Insert the Knit Picker between the twisted legs. I use my index finger for a gage. Slide pasr the latch.

Trap all the strands in the knit picker hook and close the latch.

Pull back through.

Slide back over the latch and trap the loop you have just formed in the hook of the Knit Picker

Pull the loop back through and snug up the loop.

I'm headed over to Warren's for some homemade soup. When I get back I'll show how I install the tippet ring.

BTW Tim I hope this helps!

Default Shorb loops

I'm lovin' this! All great ideas

There're a couple more floating about on the UK Furled Leader Forum and these guys from Chicago who made an automated set-up, but I think Fly Goddess has the bottom line - whatever works best for everyone.

Nice photos, Jack. Scubatim - one of these times I'm betting you'll take one of these methods and then look back and wonder why it was so hard (it was boggling for me at first, at least). Thanks, JohnScott , for posting the alternative, and JC as always for all the support.

Kat

I don't know Jack maybe I need to come down for some hands on instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Scott View Post
    I'm lovin' this! All great ideas

There're a couple more floating about on the UK Furled Leader Forum and these guys from Chicago who made an automated set-up, but I think Fly Goddess has the bottom line - whatever works best for everyone.

Nice photos, Jack. Scubatim - one of these times I'm betting you'll take one of these methods and then look back and wonder why it was so hard (it was boggling for me at first, at least). Thanks, JohnScott , for posting the alternative, and JC as always for all the support.

Kat
    Kathy trust me I will be laughing at all of this in time. Just like when I decided I will never be able to tie a fly. Now all my fish are caught by flies I have tied. LOL

What I lack in talent I make up for with persistence

+ Reply to Thread