+ Reply to Thread

Thread: South Branch of the Raritan, NJ (2/28)

Hybrid View

Default South Branch of the Raritan, NJ (2/28)

Hey Everyone,

This is my first report on here. Im also using it as a way to say thanks to the people who sent me some backing to make indicators for nymphing. So thanks to those people and what i made with your materials worked very well.

This week i tied up my own leader with an orange backing indicator. In NJ there is almost no better place to short-line/czech nymph that the Ken Lockwood Gorge on the South Branch of the Raritan.
    I got there around 11:30 and started fishing up top. The place was pretty crowded today, even some of the off-beat spots were taken when i arrived, but never the less there was still plenty of water. The indicator rig worked very well and made watching your line when short-line/ czech nymphing much easier.
    I was fishing with the same two flies all day, a #14 BH prine and #16 BHFB pheasant tail. I might have had a few hits in the first hour or so but it was very slow. I ran into a guy and we were fishing the same flies, both with no luck really, he only had one on the PT. Being stubborn i knew the flies should work, so i didnt change. It seems that everyone i talked to had the same story, no fish/one fish, slow day.
    Finally around 2:30/3:00 things started to pick up and i was getting hits. I fished a nice run and hooked into a very eratic wild brown. The little guy went nuts to where i thought it might be a small SMB. I ended up with a 9/10'' brown that took the PT.

Not much later i was fishing what some call the 'honey hole' and hooked into another fish. It was a big ugly brookie. This one took the prince nymph on a swing at the end of a drift. As my flies drifted in front of a rock a swung them up to the surface and felt this guy hit. It looked similar to one i caught a month ago from the same spot, kinda beat up, but in better condition now.

This was now the part of the day i enjoyed the most. It was a little before 4pm and almost everyone was gone from the gorge and i didnt run into anyone else for awhile. Not to mention the fish finally got active.
    I was coming up to a run at always excites me (you'll see why). There is always something there.
    I tossed in my flies and after a few drifts i see my line pause and set the hook on a nice fish. First the fish just sat in the current shaking before deciding to take off downstream. This was a time i wished i had a net, or better yet a net man! As the fish was rolling and splashing i realized it was a big wild brown. This fish didnt give up, running downstream over rocks and rapids. Worried i would break off i chased it down practically falling in numerous times in the proccess. The fish finally came to rest in a deeper pool and let me get behind him, this was over 50 yards from where i hooked it. I eventually got to get a good look at the fish, it was wild brown with good colors pushing 16'', good and healthy. This fish took the PT, i knew those flies would work.

I headed back upstream now to fish on my way back to the car. I ended up with a LDR from a trout of some sort and also a sucker. The hot time of the day was between 3pm and 4pm. It was a nice day with a nice brown. I have yet to catch a rainbow in NJ for 09 so i really hoping to get one today.

Tom

Some more pics...

Looks like a neat place!

Ill say one thing,you take some nice pics.The place looks great.

Nice! Looks like you're taking well to the technique. Under the right conditions, it can be absolutely deadly, as I'm sure you already know.

If you ever make it to this side of the Big D, I'd be happy to show you around some really nice Pennsyltucky trout water.

Don't know if you've ever seen this site, but there's some really good flies for Euronymphing on it. The website owner is also a member of the Team USA flyfishing adult team.

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/index.html

+ Reply to Thread