Ok, I've been tying now for about 3 years. I've taken some beginner courses and have tied myself silly. I'm the one who usually supplies my fishing buddy (he took the classes too but is too lazy to sit and tie) which works out well as I give him my 'reject' flies which allows me to weed out and tie more and hopefully better versions.

Up to this point I've primarily used Superfine synthetic dubbing on my dry flies but I would like to begin to understand how to dub with natural furs - primarily on dry flies. I've seen patterns using all the different types of fur but I've never understood how to take an actual patch of fur and prepare it for dubbing. Is it as easy as cutting off a chunk and applying to thread? Do I only use the under fur or guard fur or do I throw that stuff out? Put it in a coffee grinder to chop up and blend?

So I'm looking for suggestions on books or articles devoted to this subject. It doesn't have to be a big fancy all-inclusive book - something specific to dubbing with animal fur would be ideal. Maybe info on what to look for in an animal fur, which furs are best for different types of flies, how to blend to get a particular color, etc.

I realize I could go out and buy pre-made natural dubbing but that just seems too easy!!