+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book on Natural Fur Dubbing Techniques

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    often wondered why Polly Rosborough used such highly hydrophobic under furs like muskrat, beaver, etc for nymph bodies... seems counter intuitive
    Many of his fuzzy nymphs were tied to be fished for specific hatches and often within the upper water strata. As I recall, he mentions several patterns were designed to be fished 1 to 3 inches deep. Also, many of his hooks were heavy, on the order of 2 XH or so.

While many of the preferred dubbing furs are from water animals, there doesn't seem to be an issue of the furs keeping the flies from sinking. Besides, several of Rosborough's dressings contained more than just muskrat or beaver or whatever. Frequently, he added "25% jack rabbit back" as a binder. Perhaps someone who has more information than I can respond. He also was fond of saying that "all fur is grist for the mill" and championed visiting dog grooming parlors for the combings. I think he said he really like apricot poodle trimmings, FWIW.

kjackson...
    I understand what he was doing it just stuck me odd that he would incorporate muskrat/beaver, classic dry dubbing fur, for a golden stone nymph while wrapping two layers of lead on a 3xxl hook and a fair amount of glue
    Sometimes I guess you use had you have in hand... I mean I have undone carpet for dubbing
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

Yeah, you're right on the using what you have.

It also occurred to me after I posted that he also processed his fur by washing it first in a soapy bath...which probably got rid of some of the oils.

I am going to find my copy of his book and review it... if I remember it has lots of stuff that would make more sense now than before...they tell me it's an age thing
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

+ Reply to Thread