+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why 3 rods?

Hybrid View

Question Why 3 rods?

I'm not trying to cause a stir, but I am very confused.
    Why would you need 3 fly rods on a float boat or kayak?
    I can see carrying one with floating line and one with sinking, but after that...?
    I don't kayak, but fishing from a canoe or bass hunter style float boat or conventional boat I have never found the need for more than 2 rods (because of the floating/sinking reason).

Is this intended to allow the kayak fisherman to carry different flies on a separate rod rather than re-rigging? How often do you really need to do that?

No problem my need to hold three rods is this two fly rods and one spinning I know spinning rod but you never know what is working for the fish. So I am looking for a third spot to hold a alternitive to fly fishing thats all.

Blog Entries

Smile 3 Rod Minimum

CoachBob,

I was on a guided drift one time on the Beaverhead River in Montana. The guide had a rigid framed raft and they don't have the rod storage space that some drift boats have. That means the guide didn't bring any of his rods.

I had two fly rods with me. One was for streamers and one for dries. Half way through the drift the tip section of my streamer rod broke (I was casting heavy double streamers and a bad cast caused one of the streamers to hit the rod with the point of the hook). That left me with one rod, my dry fly rod. If that rod broke I would have no rods for fishing and would simply be along for the ride.

That made me realize that from then on I always take three rods. One for nymphing/streamers. One for dries. One as a back-up for any broken rods.

My back-up rod is a 5 piece 9 foot Sage SP. I keep it in the original metal tube and take it with me everywhere. I have rigged it up and used it as a third rod a few times. There are a few rivers I fish where there will be nymphing and also chucking streamers and then casting dries all in a matter of a few hundred yards, so it is nice to have all three rigged and ready to cast.

So, I always have three rods.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

I fish mostly saltwater, so I'm not sure if it would apply to other waters, but:

I generally take two rods with me, one for sinking flies and one for topwater flies. Depending on wind conditions, they may be either an 8wt and a 6 wt or two 8 wts. Sometimes I take a spinning rod as the third rod like Jeff. I use it to locate fish rather than blind casting a fly and for quick casts while on the move if I see something. I don't see any particular reason to carry 3 fly rods.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

+ Reply to Thread