+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SPAM policy change

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default SPAM policy change

Spam spam spam spam... gotta love Monty Python...
    But that's where the love of spam dies.
    We have been getting individuals signing up and using the private email feature of FAOL to spam our members. ERGO.. There is now a 15 min wait between messages imposed by me. Don't like it? Me either, but until I can tie the spammers to the tracks of an oncoming train, it's the best I can do.

HOW MUCH DO I HATE SPAM? Well today on an unrelated issue I tried to send a friend of mine an email at his work which bounced because *MY* mail server was blacklisted. Actually it wasn't but my mail server correctly put my home IP in the list of machines that touched the email. AND VERIZON (fios) has blacklisted ALL it's IP addresses to force them to use a verizon mail server for outbound email. I DON'T WANT TO. MY EMAIL should come from MY domain. Grrrrr.. I hate spammers. Anyone got a spare train track and rope?

Works for me!

Actually shouldn't be a problem for most posters.
    Good Job, Ron

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by rtidd View Post
    Spam spam spam spam... gotta love Monty Python...
    But that's where the love of spam dies.
    We have been getting individuals signing up and using the private email feature of FAOL to spam our members. ERGO.. There is now a 15 min wait between messages imposed by me. Don't like it? Me either, but until I can tie the spammers to the tracks of an oncoming train, it's the best I can do.

HOW MUCH DO I HATE SPAM? Well today on an unrelated issue I tried to send a friend of mine an email at his work which bounced because *MY* mail server was blacklisted. Actually it wasn't but my mail server correctly put my home IP in the list of machines that touched the email. AND VERIZON (fios) has blacklisted ALL it's IP addresses to force them to use a verizon mail server for outbound email. I DON'T WANT TO. MY EMAIL should come from MY domain. Grrrrr.. I hate spammers. Anyone got a spare train track and rope?

Thanks for two things:

1) Preventing spam. I hate it too, and cant even begin to know how much it must bother someone in your position.

2) Making me realize yet again, how very little I know about what this little box on my desk does when I hit send. Sometimes I get all hopped up on my own knowledge and its wonderful to have someone so completely pwn me (vernacular is interesting, hope I used it right) on this stuff.

Very sincerely,

Geoff

Ron,
    While I have not had any problems from here...
    Sounds like a Great Idea!
    Thank You Sir!

I work for acompany of around 700 people. We depend on email for just about anything. last year we have estimated that the cost of filtering spam crossed 25,000.00 and countless hour of administration. An all we have accomplished so far is stop about 70% of spam. This year the cost will be most likely over 40 grand.

When you get to the part of tying someone to the tracks gice me a call. I gladly travell all the way there to doulbe check all of you knots to make sure that the rope does not come loose...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Allow me to add my heartfelt thanks for your efforts, too. The 15 minute wait is more than a fair trade if it keeps the spam at bay.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

+ Reply to Thread