+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Tip for Spring Creek Fishing

Default One Tip for Spring Creek Fishing

If you could give someone a single piece of advice when it comes to fishing spring creeks, what would it be?

I ask because I plan to try fishing the Mad River here in Ohio in the next few weeks. I have read lots of articles and a few books already, but never trout fished before so I'm just curious what everyone here thinks is the most important thing to know going into it. I'm hoping this starts an interesting discussion that everyone can learn from.

Think about presenting the fly downstream.
    The fish are always right.

Observation...

"The beginner must look with eyes that see. Occurrences of apparently little
    importance at the moment may, after consideration, assume proportions
    of great value"

From The Dry Fly And Fast Water by G.L.M .La Branche
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 03-02-2009 at 05:22 AM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

In the spring you should consider SAFETY FIRST, watch the footing very closely, and be very very aware of hypothermia, don't stay in the water too long.

I have my favorite spring creek I fish about 80% of my total trips each year. Two things: wade quietly and very slowly - sight fishing works if they don't see or sense you first. Present your nymph at the depth exactly where they are holding - I use a Parasol Emerger and drop two nymphs, with the first a bead-head measured to the depth of the holding water, trailed by a smaller unweighted offering (usually one of my special spring creek scuds in size # 14). It works great.

This is a picture of a typical fish from my favorite spring creek and the water I fish in the background:

Another great fish from the same water:

A great shot of the water last year:

Anyway, good luck.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Parachute cast
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

presentation, presentation, and did i say presentation.

tippit size, fly size, wade carefully

Quote Originally Posted by gbflytyer View Post
    wade carefully
    Or better yet, not at all.

If it's possible to fish from the bank, do so, preferably from a kneeling position. When walking along the bank, stay back from it.

Don't forget your sinking lines and streamers.

It seems that most of the literature on fishing spring creeks deals with floating line dry, emerger, and nymping tactics. A couple of guides that a I fished with years ago at a Northern California lodge asked me if I wanted to learn some often overlooked spring creek tactics. I worked with both guides on different days fishing intermediate, sink tip, and full sinking lines with leech, crawfish, buggers, and streamer patterns. We caught alot of fish, and the average size was bigger too. It was not as simple as just chucking and hoping for the best. I learned severa presentations, including upstream sinking line presentations.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I just got back from listening to Kelly Galloup present his modern streamers concept at Mad River Outfitters here in Columbus and the owner said he had his best day ever on the Mad using those techniques so I'll definitely be picking up a full sinking line this weekend and tying up some more big streamers.

Of course thats a big fish strategy and goes against most traditional trout fishing docrtine, so I'll probably start with the small stuff and being as stealthy as possible until I get the river figured out.

+ Reply to Thread