Howie, an unemployed oilfield truck driver was interviewing for a job at a pipe hauling company.
The boss asks him, "How long have you been driving?"
Howie thinks for a minute. "Well, I started when I was 22 and Emmitt was 20. I'm 40 and Emmitt is 38 now. I guess about 18 years."
"Who's Emmitt?" asked the boss.
"Well, Emmitt is my swamper. We've always worked together." answered Howie.
"I see. We are not hiring swampers at this time. Only drivers." says the boss.
"Hmm, I don't know about that. I've always worked with Emmitt. He's the best swamper in the oilfieds. He's been my lookout. My eyes and ears you might say. He's always got my back. I don't know if I could work without him." says Howie, getting ready to leave.
" Now wait a minute ," says the boss. He needed truck drivers and was willing to hire a swamper to get an experienced hand.
"Let me ask you a question about driving. Say you have a load of 4" drill pipe and you are on a mountain road going downhill. There's a cliff straight up on your left and a 1000 foot drop off on your right. You see a cattle truck jackknifed on a curve in front of you. You apply the brakes and the pedal goes to the floor. What do you do?'
Howie studies on the question for a minute. "Well sir. The first thing I'm gonna do is reach over and wake up Emmitt, 'cause he ain't never seen a wreck like we're fixing to have."