Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
Ok, so it's fairly thick in the butt section for a 5wt....have you tried it with say a 4 and a 6wt. line I'm wondering? What I'm driving at is what would a 4 wt. design wind up with for a butt section. Also, without a reel on it and while you're holding the flyrod parallel to the floor, does it feel tip heavy or tip light? I really like the looks of the rod and the weight doesn't bother me all that much.

I'm sure I'll think of other questions but for now..

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
A 4 wt. line definately will not load this rod the way I'd like. I have not tried a 6 wt. It feels a bit on the "tip heavy" side to me.

The diameters at various points along the rod were driven by the sizes of the various pieces of hardware such as the tip top, male and female ferrules, reel seat, etc. The author of the book I use as a guide actually makes his own ferrules, guides, etc.

The way I calculated the taper was to start at the tip (known diameter) and figure out the rate of taper to the ferrule (also a known diameter), calculate the rate of taper and then continue that approximate rate of taper to the grip. This could certainly change based on the diameters of the tip top, ferrules, reel seats, etc.

My goal with this rod was to end up with a rod with a much different action than the first one I did. That I did accomplish. My next one I will fuss with the taper some more. I'm really just starting to learn how to adjust the tapers to get aa action I'm after. I have a ways to go in that regard.