+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coq De Leon

Default Coq De Leon

I recently bought a little package of maybe 8 feathers @ $7. Does anyone have a good source on maybe a little more of the bird like a cape for a decent price?
    Last edited by Fly Goddess; 02-24-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Coq de Leon is not cheap even in Spain, but it is great stuff for many patterns (I could not live without dry caddis with coq de Leon wings....LOL; deer and goat hair work pretty well...but not the same.)

If you like, have a look at this link, www.pescamosca.com . They are now working on the new catologue for next season, but I think you will find information about prices in Spain.

Hope to be of any help.

Andres T.

I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    I recently bought a little package of maybe 8 feathers @ $7. Does anyone have a good source on maybe a little more of the bird like a cape for a decent price?
    Personally I think those little packets from Spain are a COMPLETE WASTE. Yes, the feathers are nice enough, but not enough to justify their cost. Who they heck thinks it reasonable to pay that kind of money just to put a TAIL on a dry fly?

Whiting Farms has a product usually labelled "Whiting Tailing Pack" that contains three sections of CDL feathers suitable for dry fly tails. These used to be pretty cheap but it looks like the price has almost doubled in the last couple of years. Regardless, the Tailing Packs are still a MUCH better deal than the "real thing." You would think the Whiting CDL capes and saddles would work as well, but the feather on them just aren't as good as the Tailing packs.

Charlie Collin's name always comes up in these sorts of discussions as a potential supplier of conventional spade hackle. I haven't personally seen nor used his product, so you would have to contact him directly to find out what he might have available.

Luck.

Whatfly, I want it for Soft Hackles, although it is cool tails.
    It is just so whispy looking:

Ah, hadn't thought of that. Nice tie.

Again, there's no reason the tailing packs wouldn't work because they are roughly the equivalent of the Spanish feathers. For soft hackles, the Whiting CDL rooster cape or saddle would probably be a better bet. From the picture I'd say you need a "medium pardo" colored saddle (or maybe even "dark pardo") . Neither the capes nor the saddles are all that expensive ($20-$30 I think). Stone River Outfitters (sponsor's page) carries the saddles and can probably get the capes for you.

You may want to see if you can find some of the CDL hen saddles for soft hackles, however. The rooster feathers make great tails but would be too stiff, for me anyway, for soft hackles. The hen saddles are more like partridge although the range of the feathers is not as good. The colors are different, however, so if you are looking for the exact same effect, you'll have to stick with rooster.

Luck.

Default Nice stuff

Fly Goddess, nice fly. I am a big fan of the soft hackle flies. Coq de Leon is a great hackle. I use it for both soft hackles and tailing, but I'm sure if I had more time . . . I know lots of folks use it for mayfly winging, too.

I use the Whiting, but they're only selling it now in the cape/saddle combo and it is expensive.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by hackleman57 View Post
    Fly Goddess, nice fly. I am a big fan of the soft hackle flies. Coq de Leon is a great hackle. I use it for both soft hackles and tailing, but I'm sure if I had more time . . . I know lots of folks use it for mayfly winging, too.

I use the Whiting, but they're only selling it now in the cape/saddle combo and it is expensive.

Ron

Ron, do you have a link, and by expensive are you talking over $100.?

FG,

If your willing to settle for hen capes for soft hackles, Stone river has them, http://www.stoneriveroutfitters.com/...&preadd=action , for $18.00.

I just got one from Softhackle on the For Sale Board and it's a beautiful thing.

Stone River also has rooster CDL saddles for $18 and $27. http://www.stoneriveroutfitters.com/...&preadd=action

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

Look through a bunch of Whiting and Metz necks and you will find some unusual stuff...
    The silver Badger on the left is tightly speckled and very pretty. It is dry fly of the highest order, all the way. It was labeled as Silver grade and silver badger. It was marked down because the color was nonstandard.

For a better example, this cape was marked bronze and included a black hen saddle and it was on sale for $15!

They called it brown!

Point being if you look through lots of hackles you will find some neat stuff... I prefer unusual colors...

Denny is the first call I would make though, since you want it soon...
    art

+ Reply to Thread