+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trick Casts on YouTube

Hybrid View

Default Trick Casts on YouTube

I thought this was fun to watch, and messing around with a few of these might enhance my understanding of line control:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QhDa...eature=related

Kinda fun to watch, but I couldn't really see where the need to do all the fancy flips and rolls enters the picture, with the possible exception of the cast that puts all the s-curves on the water. Most of them look like a good way to wind up with a hook in yourself. Maybe I'm just not insightful enough, or maybe I'm a bit jealous. I'm all in favor of learning to control line.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Yea, that's the ticket. I do that and didn't even know it was trick casting. Learn something new every day.

Unfortunately, the alarm clock usually goes off and forces me to wake up right about the time a 26" brown is rising to a fly I just laid out using one of those trick casts.

Jeff

I've had my line alight gently on the water with wavelets like that...right after the tag alders let it go...

The first time I saw this I thought they were just tricks of no particular value. They are exagrerated in the video, but the snake roll is very useful as is the multiplied roll cast. I also use a variation of the voodoo cast to move the line from one side of my kayak to the other leading into a quick cast in a different direction. It teaches you that you do not have to make a straight backcast to load the rod when conditions don't allow one.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

A lot of the casts are adaptations of 2 handed casting on a single hand rod or perhaps it is the other way around. The purpose of many of those casts is to aerialize (new word) the line to eliminate drag from the water. Some are the opposite and made to position the line to achieve stick from the water to load the rod. Many are good to use when there is a shortage of room for a back cast. Some are for show or at least it appears that way to me. All will get a hook in you if you are not careful.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Can only cast with one hand, huh?

Didn't see anything 'trick' about them. Most everything he did was just spey techniques with a single handed rod and with some overly exaggerated moves. Why do I never hear heavy metal music when I'm out casting on the river? Does the music make it 'trick' or something?

rf

These so called "trick" casts are all spey casts or variations on them. The best trick and value in all of them is they keep the fly on the water where you are actually fishing.

Note the absence of false casting.

I too, noticed the spey tecniques in most of the casts he was doing. No backcasting room. Watch it again and notice that in every case the fly touches down just long enough to anchor the line (anchor point and D loop= spey) before his forward cast. He is very good. I know cuz I am very bad.
    Gary

+ Reply to Thread