+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vision Vitamins?

Hybrid View

Default Vision Vitamins?

Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Seems it can help.

#1. I'd want to know who underwrote the study and how it was performed.

#2. If they do help, the inherant problem is..........people have to actually ........TAKE THEM

That being said I still do not recommend them to patients. Why? Well seeing as well as they listen to any other advice I give them................

Like this guy who wears disposable contact lenses. Last year I told him to cut back on his wear time and he comes to the office looking like this and his reason for being there? "I want new contacts". Probabaly will have permanent vision loss. Excuse me while I'm not that excited to tell my patients how to take care of themselves !! Oh yeah. We gave him drops to help get him healed up and gave him an appt for the the next day and he is yet to show back up after numerous attempts at calling him. PRobably went somewhere else to get contacts. And this is NOT atypical of contact lens wearers!!!!

Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 02-25-2009 at 06:23 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Supplements containing lutein are also supposed to be good for your eyes.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

When it comes down to it. Eat a normal, healthful diet and you will get all the nutrients and antioxidants you need. There is no need to take vitamins unless you have a serious disease.

But don't believe me
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I hear all this good stuff about vitamin B and I agree it is a great vitamin, but also a dangerous vitamin if you take too much of one and not balance it out.
    It is one vitamin you can O.D. on. You should ALWAYS take a complex and I would still check with a doctor on how much.

6. Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    I hear all this good stuff about vitamin B and I agree it is a great vitamin, but also a dangerous vitamin if you take too much of one and not balance it out.
    It is one vitamin you can O.D. on. You should ALWAYS take a complex and I would still check with a doctor on how much.
    Huh? That's incorrect.

First, there is not 1 "B" vitamin. There are several.

Second, B Vits (plural) are water-soluble. They are far less likely to be toxic that non-water-soluble vits like A, E, D and K.

That said, mega-doses of vits are a bad idea borne of the misconception that "if a little is good, more is better". I take a cheap multi daily with food. Not a mega, just about 100% of the RDAs. Maybe it fills in some gaps in my intake, maybe not. Ether way it's fairly harmless and inexpensive.

A possible confounding variable in the reasearch is the nutritional status of the subjects. Maybe they had B vitamin deficiencies that the suppliments were filling. Anyway, one article is not definative. The final step in the scientific process is repeating the finding at independent labs.

How do I know? BS in Nutrition (Penn State), MS in Exercise Physiology (U. of South Carolina)....and my wife has been a dietitian for 15 years.

(...and I stayed at a holiday Inn Express last night)

Just a little "supplement" to FlySwatter's post...[pun intended].....the non-water soluble are fat soluble therefore they are stored in our fat and can build up to "toxic" levels. You really don't want to take mega doses of those.

+ Reply to Thread