+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Duck River (TN) 2/23/09

Default The Duck River (TN) 2/23/09

Jason (AKA hungNtree) pulled into the parking lot at Normandy Dam about 10:30 am just as I was finishing a heart healthy breakfast of McD's egg, cheese, bacon and biscuit with a potato "thing" on the side.

After introducing ourselves we geared up and headed down to the river just below the dam. At this time it was somewhere around a balmy 36 degrees under sunny sky's with a brisk breeze out of the north.

We worked the area using a Purple Pizzaz and an olive soft hackle to no avail. I used JC's "spider killing" tutorial to get jason's casting up to speed, a little more practice and he'll be doing fine.

We then moved downstream below the first bridge.

I had an LDR but nothing else and Jason had a couple of light taps. At least we were out of the breeze and the sun was warm. I did catch Jason reverting back to his spin casting days and try to pitch a Rooster Tail into a deep run. "Kill the Spider Jason, Kill the Spider!!". The water temp was 44 degrees, about 6 degrees warmer than the air, and our toes were getting cold so we headed back to the cars for lunch. After ham sandwiches, chips and sweet tea we went back to the river right under the bridge. Nada, nothing, nil!! Jason however was doing a fine job of keeping his back cast upeth and out of the bush's behind him. In fact he had not hooked one tree!

Here it was, about 1:30 and no fish. I was not making a very good impression as a pervayor of "Local Knowledge"! I was time to play the trump card (Heck, it was the only card I had left!!).

We humped it across the the bridge and about 1/4 mile down stream and got back in. Nothing, Nada, Nil. "Kill the Spider Jason!! We kept working slowly down stream both swinging olive weighted soft hackles. It had warmed up to a tropical 42 degrees by now and we were considering wet wading! I think Jason was having visions of me wet wading upside down!!

Bang! It happened, Jason hooked up a fiesty little rainbow in a nice streatch of pocket water!

I was getting cold so I handed Jason my 3 wt. to try and found a place in the sun to warm up.

Wham! He had another one!

After 3 more he admited that although he hated to give up the spot (He'd hooked 5 without moving 5 feet!!) but he needed to warm up too. Of course the grin on his face told me he'd had a good day after all!

We hoofed it back to the parking lot and Oh did that sun feel good!!

Made another good friend today and it don't get no better than that!!

PS Jason's wife sent along a pecan pie for me and I just had to have some as soon as I got home. Jason, you can come down and fish with me any time you want too!!

PPS Jason did hook one tree. My friend Charlie jumped out and grabbed his fly but must have seen me and instantly droped it in the river!
    Last edited by Jack Hise; 02-24-2009 at 12:42 AM.

Hey Jack thanks for the report and pictures. Jason way to go and dont' forget Kill The Spider.
    Remember we all live down stream

Hey, I know that place........ and I'm stuck here in the snow.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe;
    We stopped at the spot where posed in a supine position and said and short prayer over it. I may have to go back and erect a simple but proper shrine over the area. "Joe the Dough God Slept Here" would seem fitting.

Nice report Jack. Way to go Jason. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Smile A day on the Duck with Jack

I had a great time, that was my first fly fishing trip and I couldn't have had a better day or a better guide. I can't wait to get back down there and try it again. One thing I didn't tell Jack, when my wife makes a pecan pie, she has to make 2 for her recipe to come out right. So, I am always finding a new person or a new friend that needs a pecan pie, and naturally I feel duty bound to help eat the extra pie. I would hate to be wasteful.

I made a new friend and caught some fish. That is my idea of a great day.

Jason

PS I really hate I didn't get to come down a few weeks ago and try out some of the Joe's bread. I was licking my lips, just listening to Jack talk about it.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

hungNtree, you couldn't ask for a better guy to take you fishing for your first trip, but please do us all a favor, don't bring Jack Hise anymore pecan pie's we will never hear the end of it. Glad you had fun on the Duck river today

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    I had a great time, that was my first fly fishing trip and I couldn't have had a better day or a better guide. I can't wait to get back down there and try it again. One thing I didn't tell Jack, when my wife makes a pecan pie, she has to make 2 for her recipe to come out right. So, I am always finding a new person or a new friend that needs a pecan pie, and naturally I feel duty bound to help eat the extra pie. I would hate to be wasteful.

I made a new friend and caught some fish. That is my idea of a great day.

Jason

PS I really hate I didn't get to come down a few weeks ago and try out some of the Joe's bread. I was licking my lips, just listening to Jack talk about it.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Joe, I am glad your stuck in the snow instead of us....LOL just kidding wish you guys were down here fishing with us

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    Hey, I know that place........ and I'm stuck here in the snow.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Yo Jason! (remember those arachnids)

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Yo Jason! (remember those arachnids)
    JC,

Those spiders are a great teaching aid. I just have to concentrate harder. Which as long as I am not walking, chewing gum or something like that isn't to hard.

Jason
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

+ Reply to Thread