Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
To me, the idea of casting the entire fly line falls in the same category as tying beautiful flies like JeffHamm, gbflytyer, and kglissmeyer, building beautiful graphite rods like smernsky and bamboo rods like oyster and boarmountain , furling a great variety of neat leaders like Jack Hise and Fly Goddess, and having an outstanding touch on the Bulletin Board like Betty Hiner.

Can't do / don't have any of them. But I do like to fish streams.

John
John, thanks for the compliment, but don't be so modest, I've fished with you and you have the skills.

As far as casting the distance I agree with those who have said that the person who can cast the long line is also proficient at the shorter distances. Confidence is bred through experience on the water and casting improves to the extent we want it to or allow it to.

My favorite spring creek requires a full line cast to get to the far shore where the big boys hang out. I'm not tall enough to wade far enough out to make a shorter cast - so the challenge for me was to learn how to cast the 90-footer. Over time and with a lot of practice and a good guide in Alaska who taught me a true double-haul, now I'm there. Just another milestone along the flyfishing journey... What fun!