+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cold today but going anyway

Default Cold today but going anyway

Just put in for a 1/2 day vacation and going to head to the yellow breeches here in central pa. It is supposed to reach about 40 but be sunny this afternoon. Anyone with suggestions on what I should try. The water will be low and very clear. I am thinking very small nymphs maybe egg patterns. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill from PA

Bill:

I suggest you fish the "Run" unless you have neoprene waders; the water is mighty cold and the sun is low right now and fishing from the bank will keep you warmer longer.

Keep an eye out for small Blue Winged Olives; they may start hatching around mid-day. Try emergers or dries; possibly nymphs too.

If there are no Olives try some bead head stuff like Princes, Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear, Pheasant Tail or the ever effective cress bug imitation. I caught 5 trout yesterday on bead head Prince Nymphs; (my first EVER on a Prince Nymph); fished deep & slow at the Little Lehigh Heritage stretch which at times fishes similarly to the Run.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 18 November 2005).]

Thanks Bam. Will be stopping at the fly shop on the way to the run. Do have the neoprene which should make it tolerable I hope. Hope the Blue wings come off this afternoon. Maybe with the cold day I won't have to much company. Thanks again
    Bill

I'll be on the water too, this afternoon til about half past sunset or a cold nose and toes, whichever comes first. Gonna hit the pond with my just finished 4 wt self built rod and a vintage '73-74 Pflueger Medalist I just picked up of ebay for 5 bucks. Had good quality WF-5-F line on it with a tapered leader, tippet and backing. What a deal. It marries to my H& H 4 wt nicely. Spiders, woolies, nymphs will be the fare with the focus on bluegills with spiders-both floating and sinking whichever gets the fish.

------------------
    I fish, therefore I swam.

+ Reply to Thread