Well Bill, now that you've confessed, you should repent. And for your penance go and get the bumper cover. You'll feel better. We'll feel better.

Mantis, I (and about 87 other local volunteers) feel your pain. Missouri has deep fines for littering and ran a kid's contest within the last few years. The kids created commercials against littering. They were all fabulous.

From research I've learned that the most likely litterer is a 15 year old boy. I guess they grow up to continue their bad habits and pass them onto their kids.

Other sources of litter include us well intentioned folks who leave our trash and recycling out for pick up and aren't around when a wind gust spreads it all over the neighborhood. In addition, recycling and garbage trucks themselves shed a small percentage of the stuff they pick up.

Subscribers to garbage and recycling services, besides doing as Jed does and keeping a bag in the vest to pick up, need to agitate for heavy, stable containers and efficient pick up service.

I have felt for some time that bait tubs should be sealed with a sticker that says either "Don't litter, dispose of this container properly" or "25 cent deposit". Bait containers should be one piece, so that the lid remains with the tub, or tethered together, possibly with the above mentioned stickers. One limitation of this idea is that it comes from a flyangler, not the bait crowd itself.