Decided to go try out a new place for a couple of days. Since it was a little bit of a drive, I decided to camp out and fish two days. It was a balmy 12? when I woke up... there was a nice layer of frost on the inside of my tent...

As for the fishing...

Day 1 was tough. Started out throwing a PT nymph, but nothing was taking it. There also wasn't any insect activity to speak of. I saw one blue-winged olive all day. I wasn't seeing any fish nymphing either. So I tied on an olive egg-sucking wooly bugger, and got a couple of missed strikes right off the bat. Made it to the next hole, and got nothing casting up stream. I moved to the top of the hole and cast down and across, swinging the bugger through the current and stripping it back up. BAM! First cast that way landed a nice little 12" brown.

Made another cast through the hole and on the first swing what looked like a nice 15" brownie came out of the water chasing my fly. No dice. So I swung my fly through there again. He chased it again! But couldn't get it. I made 20 or so swings through there, stripping it fast, stripping it slow, holding it still in the current, swinging it wide, stripping it straight upstream... I saw the fish swipe at it at least a dozen times without getting it. Finally, he got a little too much of it and I missed him, and that was that...

The rest of the day was tough, a couple missed strikes, but that was it. On the way back downstream, I tried that same hole again, this time with a black egg-sucking bugger. First cast got him this time!

Next day started out much better. I switched to a plain bead-headed wooly bugger after netting this little guy, and the bite was on!