Thread: Anoyher project

Threaded View

Default Anoyher project

This has nothing at all to do with fishing, unless ya use it to clean fish, (just kidding) but figured someone might find it interesting... Me friend just bought an OLD house... Cleaning out the basement he found a japanese sword among a lot of junk & was piling it up gonna take it to the dump... Anyhow he gave me the sword. The say a (scabbard) was sepperated in half the whole length, the blade rusted. The restoration started as soon as i found out, while examining the tsuba (hand guard) shape & markings, that peice was made around 1396 - 1568... makes it at least 441 - 613 years old, that dont say the blade is that old, a rubbing of the tang & inscriptions has been sent off for translation to determine the maker, age & what other information it might tell me about the blade... I have allready restored the saya using the traditional rice glue and now starting on the blade itself, removing the rust slow & east so the blade doesnt get scratched or dammeged... The ito (braid handle wraps) show that the sword was used or handled quite a bit but will be left alone cause its still in tact & in sound shape... Heres a few pictures... ill post more pictures & information about the sword as i go along...

Last edited by bugman; 03-11-2009 at 01:22 AM.
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...