+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well this is a laugh... I'm still in shock! (not ff)

Default Well this is a laugh... I'm still in shock! (not ff)

How about this? I have been a paramedic manager (communications) for the past few years after a career in the game of nearly 30 years.... it is a high pressure high stress thankless job that has caused me a lot of grief in recent times. I am burnt out stressed out and generally unhappy, so much so that I have taken time off the past few months to consider my position.

I guess that applying for a heap of jobs that I did not get does not help, and I set my aims lower, lower, and lower. Last week I got offered a job in town here, at the local butchers as an apprentice, and I said yes.

I'm still reeling, and a little excited - a 54 yo apprentice earning in a week what I used to in half a day! I get a small pension from my old career so that will help a bit. Might be a few less fishing trips though!

It will be so different working with food... they do smokehouse stuff and lots of nice things other than dead animals! Anyway, has anybody else made a radical decision such as this and it turned out well? (Jeez...what have I done?) LOL

"We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Gringo,
    I really admire you for changing careers. Being happy is the most important thing.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Thanks Doug... I'm excited as well as worried.

Say mate, when do you sleep?

I worked the graveyard shift for 27 years (11:30 pm- 8:00 am), so I have a slightly different sleep pattern than most people.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Gringo, I also admire you, I did the same but I added a move to the equation and that then lead to bigger and better things, now I wake up with a smile on my face good luck and let us know how the smokehouse stuff is
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Popper thanks, I will have to discuss smoking etc here and pick you guys brains a little, we are babes in the woods with smokers in Australia.

Doug, I don't have a sleep pattern any more, I could go to bed at 3 in the arfternoon and sleep if I wanted to: 30 years of "on ca;;" and shift work just takes it out of you. It annoys me actually, I don't have that feeling of Hey its nine a.m. I should have been up ages ago... I go to bed when I do and get up when I have to!

Sleep is my biggest challenge. I have never been very patient about it. I used to be annoyed that I had to sleep at all. After all, I had work to do and I couldn't do it if I was sleeping! I remember after a 12 hour shift, I was so wound up, that it took me a long time to calm down enough to sleep. Those days are long gone. My life is much more manageable now and I am not ever going back to living on the edge.
    All the money I made, could not make me happy, but learning how to care about myself has paid off.
    Doug

You are so right my friend. Shame that for so many people, they learn that too late.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good evening.
    Le Gringo.
    Mate,
    myself
    I cannot see anything funny or anything to laugh at in your doing something less stressful !

I cannot see anything funny with you being able to be with your family at night.

I cannot see anything funny with so called normal hours of work and sleep.

I cannot see anything funny in you starting into a new World that you could enjoy.

I cannot see anything funny with you being told what to do, instead of telling other how to save a life, as it must be a weight of your shoulders.

BUT,
    I wish I was your boss young grasshopper, you would have to do all the lousy jobs
    Like make my tea, fetch my lunch, clean up after me, answer my phone, tie my flies, clean my line, like a good apprentice should.: D

PS, nice to see someone with the guts to start all over again in life, and don't tell anybody, BUT we are proud of you as anybody with the guts to start all over again is special, the standard this country and the World needs more of !

Our nephew started a mature apprenticeship last year in refridgeration. AND we understand more than you will understand.

Your dear sweet Uncle.
    B
    ps, I am not the grasshoppers Uncle,...that should confuse a couple or three.

When I was 20 I lucked out and landed the best job available earning more money that any of my friends. I was on top of the world and thought it was great. At 49 that 40 hour per week - high paying job payed exactly the same as it did in 1970 and required 70 hours per week to complete! And they say we don't have sweat shops here in the US!

I went back and completed college at age 49 working 14 hours a day and attending a full time schedule of classes. All that got me through was my hate for that old job. Now I have landed a stressful job that I love. I found my niche - this is what I am good at.

It's a matter if finding your niche, what you like and what you can do well. We all need to be productive to support ourselves and our families but If you're not happy - move on until you find your niche where you are happy.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

+ Reply to Thread