+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dry Hackle Help

Hybrid View

Question Dry Hackle Help

It's been about six months since I've tied any dry flies other than elk hair caddis. As a matter of fact, I only recently started tying again after a layoff due to rotator cuff surgery. I'm struggling with a problem that I'm sure has a quick fix.
    I keep getting the dry hackles caught in the thread when I try to bind it down. You know what I mean, those hackle fibers that are suddenly pointed straight forward when you're ready to build the head? I know about using a straw to hold them back, but I've never been too fond of that, although that's the direction I might have to go.
    I know the solution has been covered either on the boards here or in an article on the main FAOL, but I'll be hanged if I can find it. I'm sure it's something simple, like pulling the hackle stem a certain direction when I tie it off, chanting mystical gibberish to it, etc.
    Can you folks help me remember the technique to avoid catching hackle under the thread like this?

Ok, here's what I do, when I get to the end of wrapping, I give it a wrap, then pull up and forward with the hackle pliers, I then slide my scissors down the hackle from the end part just b-4 the fly where i had wrap, I snip it off, then I use the end of a ink pen to just barely push back on the hackle and let the thread slide off the end of the ink pen with a couple of half hitches,, I try to be careful not to let the pen push to far back at this time too cause I don't want the hackle to be pinned down pushed backward, then I just pull back the hackle a little with my fingers and finish the head. Maybe something in this can help...

Thumbs up

I suggest finishing up with a few half hitches where the tubular end of the tool will push the errant hackle barbs back to an acceptable position. This may not sit well with the perfectionists in the the crowd but it works even in my beginner's classes.

Default Dry Hackle Help

Misterpaul;
    Just a few ideas.
    1. When wrapping the hackle, make sure your thread is hanging at the rear of where the head will be formed rather than at the hook eye. This way, the first thread wrap when you bind down the hackle will help push back the barbs on the lst wrap of hackle.
    2. Another small thing that will help your thread go where you want it is to spin the bobbin to take the twists out of the thread when you leave it hang to wrap the hackle. This will help your first thread wrap stay back where you want it.
    3. Try selecting a hackle from a different cape, and see if it helps the problem. Some capes just won't cooperate.

If things still aren't going well in a few weeks, stop by and see me just down the road at the Sowbug Roundup in Mountain Home, AR. I've had so many tiers in my classes, both beginners and advanced, that have trouble with the traditional dry flies that I've decided to tie them at one or more of my scheduled sessions. I'll be tying all day Thursday, and Saturday afternoon.
    Good Tying,
    Arnie

OK, so I feel like a rube. The problem was that I've been wrapping the hackle in the same direction as the thread. You really gotta go the opposite direction to get it right. DUH!

Arnie, I'll be sure to drop by and say hi at the sowbug roundup this year.

Blog Entries

I almost always wrap thread and hackle in the same direction...

Many capes have very stiff stems and steaming them for a few seconds and holding them between damp paper towels until you are ready for them will help you tie tremendously...

Misterpaul,

I always catch a few fibers from the hackle when I tie it off. Happens. I don't worry about it, takes too much time to try to avoid it. Not a problem, though, if you finish the fly properly.

First, I just cut the excess hackle stem. Then, I use three fingers of my left hand to pull ALL the hackle fibers back, even those trapped under the tie off wrap. A few tight wraps of thread right against the front of the hackle, form the head, then a whip finish, and everything is where it's supposed to be. Takes less time to do it than to type it.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by misterpaul View Post
    The problem was that I've been wrapping the hackle in the same direction as the thread. You really gotta go the opposite direction to get it right. DUH!
    i think that is incorrect. for a parachute you would want to wrap the hackle counterclockwise. when you tie off the hackle, the clockwise wrapping torque of the thread will actually tighten the hackle stem around the shank.

for a standard dry fly, you want to wrap the hackle clockwise, not counterclockwise. the thread torque will tighten the hackle stem on the hook shank

trapping a few hackle fibers is natural and even the best tiers do it. youre not alone.

OOOOooooohh. Huh. I guess I just need to practice. It's just frustrating, since it didn't seem to be an issue before.

+ Reply to Thread