+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Try it! You just may like it!!

Default Or the spatula

Ralph Quinn, inventor of Trondak U-40 and other adhesives/finishes, uses a spatula. He kind of globs it on while turning at high speed (he uses a power wrapper). I've tried it and it's a lot of fun.

But most of us turn them slowly or by hand. Many, many people like the knitting needle and it is worth a try.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    After how-many-I-don't-know rods that I've built, I finally tried applying the rod finish with a knitting needle! Once you get the hang of the flow of material off the end of the needle, it's slick as snot!! Don't know why I fought using one for so long!!
    I thought this was a great idea. Only problem, which knitting needles could I take without my wife realizing they were missing/gone. As it turns out, I took my wife out to dinner, there on the table was a pair of chop sticks. They were a fairly nicely done disposable pair. They worked great.

Thanks again for the suggestion,
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    After how-many-I-don't-know rods that I've built, I finally tried applying the rod finish with a knitting needle! Once you get the hang of the flow of material off the end of the needle, it's slick as snot!! Don't know why I fought using one for so long!!

Betty,

Where can I learn about the mysterious technique you describe?

Thanks,

Dana

Yes, could someone describe the technique in more detail? Why is a knitting needle or bodkin better when applying finish? I've wrapped 4-5 graphite rods and have just applied the finish with a brush while slowly turning the rod section by hand.

As I'm just starting my first bamboo refinish project and plan on using silk I'm curious why this procedure is so much better. I'm especially interested in applying the varnish with a bodkin - what makes it so special?

Does it allow you to "massage" the finish down INTO the thread better than just having it lay on the surface?
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

+ Reply to Thread