+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washing hats?

Hybrid View

Default Washing hats?

Well fishing season upon us, time to bust out the ole good hats. I have 3 I used to wear alot, but days of sweat in the liner and brim have left chalky marks on them. I hear you can't wash such cotton baseball hats without them shrinking, and some have a cardboard brim that would get ruined if washed.
    My question is, anyone know of anything I could like, rub on the brim to remove such crud? Heres what I'm talking about. Bear in mind, its been sitting in my closet since summer.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...a/P2190129.jpg

A little hot soapy water, a toothbrush to apply it, and a quick rinse (don't soak it), and it'll be gone. Been doing this for decades, and it works like a charm.

Blog Entries

Shoot, posting a picture of a new hat like that ans sayin' it needs washin'. Keep pulling stunts like that, and ain't nobody gonna take you seriously. Oh, wait, you're a fisherman. Never mind.

But don't you know that a body can wash all of the good luck out of a fishing hat? Didn't you know that fishing-hat-luck is NOT dishwasher safe? Save, and savor, those hats. When they really do get dirty, it'll just fall off on its own.

Ed
    (Or you could try gently brushing them with a suede brush...)

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    don't you know that a body can wash all of the good luck out of a fishing hat? Didn't you know that fishing-hat-luck is NOT dishwasher safe? Save, and savor, those hats. When they really do get dirty, it'll just fall off on its own.

LOL I love it.

Wear it fishing and dunk it in the stream, put it back on and wear it dry. Best to do this on a warm sunny day or hypothermia may result.

This method will not wash out any fishing luck or mojo that has accumulated in the hat. (If said mojo or luck is associated with getting skunked throw said hat away or wash in the dishwasher. Best use the dishwasher method when the wife is away for the day.)

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Washing a fishing hat? Blasphemy! Get the stake, some wood, some rope and light the fire.

I just hope none of my hats could see the computer screen as this flashed up. Mojo may get washed off just through association.

Seriously, a good dunking in the creek would probably work. On the other hand, one of my hats even got ran over by a car last summer. I think the tire tread marks give it a certain flair.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Shoot, posting a picture of a new hat like that ans sayin' it needs washin'. Keep pulling stunts like that, and ain't nobody gonna take you seriously. Oh, wait, you're a fisherman. Never mind.

But don't you know that a body can wash all of the good luck out of a fishing hat? Didn't you know that fishing-hat-luck is NOT dishwasher safe? Save, and savor, those hats. When they really do get dirty, it'll just fall off on its own.

Ed
    (Or you could try gently brushing them with a suede brush...)
    Hey folks,
    When I fished with Ed, he just yelled, "C'mere hat!", & the D**n thing just walked over & jumped up on his head!!!
    Would I lie?...not a chance this ol' Irishman would stoop to prevarication.
    Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

You never, ever wash a good lucky fishing hat. Rain, dropping it in the river, those are acceptable, but do NOT intentionally wash it. You will know it is time for a new hat when the old one crawls off somewhere to die, or you have to defend yourself when it attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    You never, ever wash a good lucky fishing hat. Rain, dropping it in the river, those are acceptable, but do NOT intentionally wash it. You will know it is time for a new hat when the old one crawls off somewhere to die, or you have to defend yourself when it attacks.
    Amen to that Brother!
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

So if I "drop" it in my creek and a tooth brush just "happens" to fall on the brim and "remove" those lines, that would be ok?

+ Reply to Thread