+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Braided fishing line for backing

Default Braided fishing line for backing

I've just recently discovered this line. It has a very small diamiter, much smaller than any fly line backing that I have and smaller also than regular mono.

I'm just wondering if any of you have been using it for backing? I beleive it would be a great idea for heavier lines used for salmon and Steelhead where a lot of backing is required especially when there is limited reel/spool space.

Does anyone see any disadvantages to using this line? I can't think of any.
    -Grant

Yaffle, no telling what it really is...but it may be a gel spun/spectra type line ...which many people use as backing.

If it is gel spun there are some disadvantages...can cut your fingers...can dig into the reeled on backing[should be wound on properly]....

Lefty recommends squidding line, or Dacron. Or micron. I imagine Dacron could be bought at any yardage store such as Jo Ann's Fabrics.
    Gary

Yaffle,

I found some 'Gorilla Braid' fishing line being blown out on sale at WalMart, I think it was a 600 yard spool for around $9 a few years back. It's a gel spun line, not as 'tight' (thin)as the 'premium' fishing braids, but great for backing.

What I got was 50 pound test, and it was about the diameter of 25# dacron. Wish I had bought more of it.

There are some slight disadvantages to using super braids like this for backing. It's very 'slick' so you have to attach it to the spool properly or it will spin. It can bury into itself, so you have to spool it properly, and TIGHTLY. You also don't grab this stuff with your hands if it's under tension. It can and will cut you (I'd never do this with any backing ,so I don't worry about it).

The advantages, though, are why I prefer it. It's impervious to ambiant temperature, ultraviolet light, and moisture. It floats. It won't ever rot. It's lighter overall and lighter in the same 'bulk' (a reel 'filled' with it will be lighter than one filled with dacron, even if there is twice as much of it in 'length').

Another 'source' for long lengths of this kind of line that may be less expensive is a kite store. They use it as string for the really high flying kites. It's lighter, stronger, and less air resistant due to it's thinner diameter. Sometimes you can get a thousand feet of it for not much.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Cool Backing

I use fireline,sufix braid and power pro 30 or 50lb for backing and never have had any problems for 8yrs now hope this helps.
    Who are you gonna believe me or your own eyes?
    troutmaster1@hotmail.com

Default backing

Thanks everyone, this is helpful. I pick up som 30lb micro braid yesterday, It will allow for lots of space for the fly line now, it is the same diamiter as 10lb mono!!

Default Power Pro Slipping

The comment regarding braided line slipping should be noted. Power Pro is often considered the top choice right now of folks using commie tackle because you can load it on spinning reels as well as level wind reels. The problem is that if you do not (1) tie it THROUGH the arbor, or (2) put on a short base of monofilament, the ENTIRE spool of line on your reel will slide around the arbor. "What happened to my drag?" is the usual reaction.
    If you do not have holes in the arbor, you must lay down a layer of mono. The mono won't slip and the braided line will bite into the mono.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    The problem is that if you do not (1) tie it THROUGH the arbor, or (2) put on a short base of monofilament, the ENTIRE spool of line on your reel will slide around the arbor. "What happened to my drag?" is the usual reaction.
    If you do not have holes in the arbor, you must lay down a layer of mono. The mono won't slip and the braided line will bite into the mono.
    You don't need to tie though holes or lay down a base of mono or dacron or tape like some people do.

I was taught the following method by some people that fish for big things like billfish and tuna.

1. Tie a Bimini knot in the braid leaving a long loop.
    2. Wrap the doubled line from the Bimini loop around the reel arbor 7 or 8 times in the reverse direction that you normally would (that is coming on the spool on top rather than bottom)
    3. Take the tag end of the Bimini loop and connect to main line with a 6 or 7 turn uni knot.
    4. Slide the uni knot down tight against the arbor.
    5. crank on backing normally, under pressure

When the braid is attached to the arbor like this, it grips the spool extremely well and does not slip. I have never spectra braids slip on my reels, including on tunas, trevallys, and even mako sharks up to 150lbs

Yup I'm one of those guys using PowerPro on "comie" rigs. There is a simple trick of spooling that to avoid the drawbacks.
    1. Start with thick mono. Tie it to the spool, cinch and get few turns. Then tie it to the superbraid and go nuts.
    2. Wind the superbraid evenly and very tight - use a leather glove for proper "level" winding and tension.
    3. About 3/4 through you desired amout of superbraid stop and wrap one layer of electical tape folded in half so that there is no sticky side exposed and continue with the superbraid. Electrical tape will prevent the top layers from "cutting" into layers below when you set the hook and fight fish and if the fish takes you way into the backing tape will simply fly out.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Default Attaching the backing

I bought the Power Pro.
    I do have holes at the base of my spool so the simple solution seems to be attaching as CoachBob suggest, seems simple enough.
    I do like the idea of using electrical tape to prevent the line from digging into itself under presssure.

Thanks for all of your replys!
    -Grant

+ Reply to Thread