+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sink tip vs. sinking line?

Default Sink tip vs. sinking line?

Are there any differences in the ease of casting sink tips versus the full sinking line? In May I will be hitting central Ohio ponds and I would like to get to the bottom and try a "Carolina rig" on a fly rod. I'm thinking the line can be the weight and attach a floating lure to keep off the bottom. Opinions - thanks.

Fishing from shore or a floating device?

Rick,
    I'd be interested in knowing why you didn't post this in the Frog-Water forum?

Not being critical at all just wondering?

There isnt much difference, unless you have a really short sink tip (20ft or less). I doubt that youll have any need to mend line while pond fishing, so I'd go with a fast sinking shooting head, and running line set up instead of either of the lines you suggested.

I use a 30' fast sinking shooting head and some oval mono running line a lot. A long cast is no problem and sinks like a brick. Takes a little practice to get the hang of it though. Get the sinking head within a couple feet of the rod tip, do a roll cast pickup, make your cast and let it fly! Cheers.

Bumping///

Mostly I'll be fishing in a tube or boat.

What is the Frog-water Forum?

Thanks for the tips.

In general a full sink will be harder to pull out of the water and cast but since you are in a tube or boat I assume you'll be stripping in the line essentially to the boat so that won't be much of a factor.

There is a school of thought that feels that the best is to use a uniform full sinking line so that the fly is kept in the desired zone as long as possible and your contact with the take is better.

Oops, forgot to answer your question....the Frog-Water forum is one dedicated to STILLWATER fishing....[see current thread there and others in the past where terms get bandied about]

In my experience, full sinking lines are most useful in stillwaters, sinking tip lines in streams. Where drag is a problem, it is easier to mend line with a sinking tip. In ponds, this isn't an issue. Biggest problem with a full sinking line is that you have to pretty much retrieve the entire line before you can cast again.

Unless of course you are fishing for 'Warm Water' species such as pike, muskie, Bass or the other panfishes, then the Warm Water Forum would have been a more logical choice than the Frog-Water Forum.

(Sorry Duck, you left yourself open for that one!)

Don

In reality, as you can see, pretty much anywhere you drop your post, you will get the answer you are looking for. The other two forums mentioned are just a little more specialized.
    Don Rolfson

+ Reply to Thread