+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing in Eastern AZ?

Question Fly Fishing in Eastern AZ?

OK Folks,
    Last time I asked about fly fishing in CO and got some pretty good info. Now I'm going to need info on the area around Springerville,AZ . My job will take me there in a couple of weeks before I head to CO . Does anyone know much about this area? I looked on google a little bit and saw some stuff but, not much in detail.

Thanks again,

Rich

Rich, I love the Springerville, AZ area. I heard John Wayne had a ranch around there close by. Probably not true but it makes a good story. The White mountains offer lots of year round trout stream fishing. There's lakes and the Little Colorado river too. Then there'sthat whole New Mexico Gila Wilderness thing over by Reserve but that's adifferent story. You won't lack for fun things to do. Jim http://www.wmonline.com/attract/fishin.htm
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnarocks View Post
    Rich, I love the Springerville, AZ area. I heard John Wayne had a ranch around there close by. Probably not true but it makes a good story. The White mountains offer lots of year round trout stream fishing. There's lakes and the Little Colorado river too. Then there'sthat whole New Mexico Gila Wilderness thing over by Reserve but that's adifferent story. You won't lack for fun things to do. Jim http://www.wmonline.com/attract/fishin.htm
    Yeah I kinda did a little looking aroung on google and there seems to be some reference to John Wayne around those parts of AZ. I'm trying to find some fly shops now.

rich

google fishing in the white mountains ariz .... there are a ton of lakes and a couple of creeks

There a fly shop in Pinetop-Lakeside and another down the road at Hondah, which is on Ft. Apache Reservation. There are some great lakes up there but I believe they ice over in the winter. There is a working ranch south of Ft. Apache that has cabins and fishing at a very reasonable cost. The owner is a lady whose family goes back to the early days of AZ.

A friend told me about a stream over about the New Mexico state line on a ranch over there.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Rich, You might PM Gemrod. He hails from Sho-low which ain't too far from Springerville. He may be able to hook you up with a tackle/fly shop in that area. I can't help you there. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I drove thru there a couple times when I was stationed at the old Williams Air Force Base south of Apache Junction, AZ. back in the early 70's. Don't know anything about the fishing there but the scenery itself is worth the trip.

Vic

Default Fly fishing Eastern AZ

You can check the Az Game and Fish Dept fishing report before your trip for some up to date info (azgfd.gov). Becker lake just a short distance north of Springerville is a possibility, but fishing from shore is limited. Also, a short drive toward Showlow to Silver Creek could be productive. This Creek is maintained by the Game and Fish dept as an Apache trout fishery. and holds a few large fish. Talk to Sue in the fly shop in Springerville for more info.

Good luck,

Bill

Thanks Guys,
    I'm hoping to be able to get some fishing done there. I'm kinda worried a little about run off from melting though. Either way I'm taking all my fly fishing stuff to give it a whirl.
    I'm still open to more suggestions,

Rich

There is a fly shop right in Springerville. It is named the Speckled Trout. That would be a good start. Becker Lake as mentioned is very productive, but you really need a toon or a tube. The ranch mentioned is X-Diamond. It is a private stream and costs like 30 a day to fish. It is very nice to fish there.

+ Reply to Thread