+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me??? A Fly Fishing Writer?!?!?

Blog Entries

Default Me??? A Fly Fishing Writer?!?!?

Well I guess I'm a real live fly fishing writer now; I got an article accepted for publication -- so not just a blog writer or posting on various fly fishing forums (though not really sure what difference that makes any way). I just got my first cheque as a fly fishing writer today -- does this make me a professional fly fishing writer???? LOL LOL Hardly!!!! -- better not let my head swell too much!!!!! LOL LOL (I've sold other stories before but none about fly fishing). I wrote an article that comes out in a future issue of the Eastern Fly Fishing magazine. Nothing much -- just 500 words. But it's a start -- a way to get my foot in the door. And really I'd never have thought about submitting an article to a fly fishing magazine unless I'd been able to write on forums like this. So I'm writing this not to boast or build myself up. But rather to thank you who take the time to read my stuff on here -- and those of you who have sent words of encouragement in PMs and posts. Thanks.

Tight Lines,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Ormsby; 02-19-2009 at 08:33 PM.
    "No matter how complicated life can get -- remember life is sometimes like fly fishing; after turning over every rock in the river trying to "match the hatch", you have probably spooked every fish for miles -- so don't let the "little things" BUG you -- just enjoy whatever you find." Mike Ormsby

Mike,

Let me be the first to offer my congrat's and I'm looking forward to reading the article. Are you willing to give a heads up on the subject of the soon to be Pulitzer Prize winning tome?
    Joe Bertolini

cool Mike. let us know where and when so we can read your stuff. I guess this means you got a new or different computer huh. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Thumbs up

Mike I think that is the greatest of news, I know I would be beside myself with happy...lol
    congratulations, let us know here when it comes out...

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the kind words -- but hardly a Pulitzer Prize winning tome!!!! LOL LOL -- just a 500 word piece on one of my area's trout streams -- the one I started out on -- more of a guide to fishing there -- and certainly not a long winded essay like I've been known to post sometimes LOL LOL -- but like I said I wouldn't have even dreamed of writing an article for a fly fishing magazine without getting to practise here (and on other forums and through my blog) -- guess this means I got to practise on you guys here LOL LOL -- seriously I just wanted to thank this forum for providing a stage as it were for us wannabe writers to work from -- well before this does get to be a lengthy tome, I'd better beg off -- thanks to FAOL again
    Tight Lines,
    Mike
    P.S. Believe article should be out in May/June issue of Eastern Fly Fishing
    And this was the first article I'll have published -- I have a few others that have been accepted but I've found out that if you want to make a living as a writer, then you have to have a lot of articles on the go -- most magazines don't pay until 30 days or so before actual publication of issue -- so that means if you really wanted to make a living as a writer (especially a fly fishing writer) you'd have to have a number of articles going out or being worked on -- you'd have to plan for this -- or just write part-time; which is where I'm at for now (later who knows) -- what is it they say about "don't give up your day job" LOL LOL -- always good to have something else to fall back on -- but it is fun to write -- especially about things you love
    Last edited by Mike Ormsby; 02-19-2009 at 11:26 PM.
    "No matter how complicated life can get -- remember life is sometimes like fly fishing; after turning over every rock in the river trying to "match the hatch", you have probably spooked every fish for miles -- so don't let the "little things" BUG you -- just enjoy whatever you find." Mike Ormsby

Default New writer of the written page...

Author, author !

Good show Mike...

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Cool To the Writers Amoungst Us...

(very formal and serious) - we all had to start somewhere. One makes the decision to write about that which we enjoy. Perhaps as if writing to a friend about a recent trip (whch just happened to be terrific and why weren't you there?) Maybe you read something which really twisted your trig, and you want to correct the person - write something. Your words are certainly as valuable as theirs. See? It isn't as hard as you might think.
    Your opinions and comments are very valuable here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    (very formal and serious) - we all had to start somewhere. One makes the decision to write about that which we enjoy. Perhaps as if writing to a friend about a recent trip (whch just happened to be terrific and why weren't you there?) Maybe you read something which really twisted your trig, and you want to correct the person - write something. Your words are certainly as valuable as theirs. See? It isn't as hard as you might think.
    Your opinions and comments are very valuable here.
    Thanks LF -- that really says it all -- FAOL allows us who love to write (no matter what our level of competence may be) truly a "forum" to practise our craft -- or at least a place to voice our thoughts and opinions

Blog Entries

Default Mike Ormsby

congrats!

will be buying that issue you are in.
    Let us know when it hits the news stands.

Len

+ Reply to Thread