+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you tie somthing like this

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    I get mine from Tim's site: http://1a-fly-fishing.com/. I think he is the originator of the material, and most of the patterns.
    Just placed my order!

Default Re the Polaris flies

Are there recipes available?

Any specific color recommendations?

Do you have to use hot glue...or could you substitute say a gel super glue?

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

If you go to http://1a-fly-fishing.com/, they have free How-To vidoes on many patterns.

Super Glue will melt the material. You might be able to use a Glue stick, or Zap-A-Gap.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Are there recipes available?

Any specific color recommendations?

Do you have to use hot glue...or could you substitute say a gel super glue?

Gig...I don't think those videos really get into what colors for specific patterns.
    In other words if you wanted to order the materials what colors would you order for what flies?

Did you just create your patterns?...nice BTW

Looking at you'all's examples it hard cause they sort of blend together...especially when one isn't familiar with the material.

This one was tied for Tiger Muskies, but smaller components would work well for Bass. Three different colors of long angler's hair with glue on eyes. Par marks are made with a Magic Marker permanent green felt tip pen.

I hope this helps you with your questions.
    Last edited by Lotech; 03-04-2009 at 01:17 AM. Reason: color change
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Well, I sort of made them up. It's basically a High-Tie method.

I hate to say this, but I usually just use all white or pearl material, and color it with Prismacolor markers to match the baitfish I want. It looks more realistic that way. I just tie the basic body shape, then find a picture of the baitfish I want, and color the fly to match it.

I got Fly Of The Week a few months ago with a Floating-Head Minnow. Look it up in the archives and follow the steps. Just omit the floating head, and you have a straight baitfish. You can even wrap wire around the hook shank for a weighted version.

If you are going to tie Polaris Flies, then you can still use the light colors like Pearl, Grey and the Peacock Colors, and still color the details in with the markers. For example:

For a Bluegill, I'd get Yellow, or Chartruese, and Olive or dark green N.E.W. fibers. Just tie the Yellow on, then the Green over that, then color in the details with the markers. For a shad, same thing, except use white and silver, or grey, or blue.

It's really pretty easy, once you get used to the method.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Gig...I don't think those videos really get into what colors for specific patterns.
    In other words if you wanted to order the materials what colors would you order for what flies?

Did you just create your patterns?...nice BTW

Looking at you'all's examples it hard cause they sort of blend together...especially when one isn't familiar with the material.

+ Reply to Thread