+ Reply to Thread

Thread: global positioning unit mounts

Hybrid View

Default global positioning unit mounts

The Garmin arrived in the mail yesterday and seems fairly straight forward for an electronics junkie, but I have a question on the available mounts. I keep hearing that those window suction mounts all fall off from time to time and am not sure that is how I want to mount my unit. I'm not in one of those states that you can't mount you unit to a windshield so that is not what is prompting the question. I just don't want the thing coming off and bouncing around in the vehicle.

I have been considering a vent mount. While they list at $30 or so, you can get one delivered to you with shipping included for about $5. Anyone have any comments on window mounts vs. vent mounts, I would like to hear it.

Rick

Normand Guest

i mount mine on the windshield and it doesnt fall off. i also mount it so its an inch or so above the dashboard so if it should fall of it doesnt drop very far.

however i only use mine for places i dont know how to get to, unlike people that need it on going to the local convience store.

i also remove the mount when not in use.
    Last edited by Normand; 02-19-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    i mount mine on the windshield and it doesnt fall off.

however i only use mine for places i dont know how to get to, unlike people that need it on going to the local convience store.

i also remove the mount when not in use.
    I am going to the grocery store today and will use it, while not exactly a convience store, I've been there before

I just want to play with the thing for a few days before I have to use it on any kind of trip. I would like to leave the mount up for a week long tirip and not take it on and off.

Anyone use one of these: http://shop.ebay.com/items/__garmin-..._sopZ15QQ_scZ1

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I am going to the grocery store today and will use it, while not exactly a convience store, I've been there before

I just want to play with the thing for a few days before I have to use it on any kind of trip. I would like to leave the mount up for a week long tirip and not take it on and off.

Anyone use one of these: http://shop.ebay.com/items/__garmin-..._sopZ15QQ_scZ1
    i too had it on all the time when i first got one

i dont see any problem with have the windshield suction cup mounted for a week or even longer. these are pretty darn good suction cups.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    i too had it on all the time when i first got one

i dont see any problem with have the windshield suction cup mounted for a week or even longer. these are pretty darn good suction cups.
    Maybe I will run it for a while and see if it falls off. If I do that I will have to clean the window though

I tested the suction mount without the unit attached for a day or so just to be sure it maintained good suction in the extreme cold and being warmed by the sun. It fell off after day one. Then I made sure the windshield and suction cup were completely clean before I reattached the mount. I've been using the suction mount on my windshield for about 2 months with no issues. The mount has been attached the entire time but I do remove the GPS unit when not is use. I don't see any point in letting everyone know it's definitely in the car.

To all GPS owners here's one little tip. You may not want to input your exact home address in your GPS. Especially if you have a garage door opener. If someone steals your vehicle or just your GPS and opener they now have access to your home.

I don't keep anything (e.g. registration) in my vehicle with my home address for the same reason.

Clay,

Have a TomTomOne and I have a problem with mounting because the width of the dashboard to the windshield is a mite further then can comfortably be reached by the driver. Also, the stick on dash mount won't work either because of the way the mount opens up. Don't have room to mount it on the vertical part of the dash as there's not a flat enough place. So, mount mine on the upper part of the windshield just to the left of the rearview mirror with the suction cup. Also loop the cord over the rearview mirror and that has kept the unit from crashing to the dashboard on two occasions when it came loose. Remove it when not in use as, just yesterday, an article in the paper said that theft of GPS units is really taking off now.

My TomTomOne is mounted on top of dash using the little adhesive disk that came with the unit. Sticky pad goes on the dash and the suction cup sticks right on top of it. The darn windshield is too darn far in the minivan.
    Got it a bit to the right of the steering wheel so it does not obstruct my field of vision but I can see it great and reach it with my fingers without leaning. You can order these disks for about 5 bucks. My daughter has bean bag mount - personally I don't like it. Big bulky mount for unit that fits in my pocket and weighs only few ounces just does not make much sense to me. But that is just me.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread