Thread: More junk glass and steel rods on the way.

Threaded View

nighthawk Guest

Default More "junk" glass and steel rods on the way.

I don't know if you all recall but some time ago I did some research on some bamboo rods refinished by A. J. Stamm. The work was done for my boss as she knows, or rather knew at the time, next to nothing about fly rods. Well in payment for that I am getting a 9' tubular steel rod that is made in the U.S.A. and a 9' Hurricane glass rod.

I cannot recall the name of the steel rod right off hand but will let you know tomorrow. She wanted to give me a really nice Horrocks & Ibbotson Governor that is a great candidate for restoration but I turned it down. I felt that would have been too much payment for the small amount of research I did. sometime in the future I will tell you all what I found out about A.J. Stamm and why those rods are super rare. I told her not to sell them!

Anyway, back to the subject of the post. I know these rods are definitely not high end rods. They are, however, something that my growing collection is missing. I want to fish both of these rods and was
    wondering if any of you know anythingabout the Hurricane glass rods in particular. It is supposed to be a super fast action rod, 9' 2pc with original guides. What should I look for in a line as far as taper and weight?

I have several different tapers and weights from 2wt up to 8wt but would my 6wt Sylk DT should be a good line for it?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

If all else fails I have a couple of nice wall hangers.

P.S. Sorry folks I forgot to put the Quotation marks around the word "junk" in the title to indicate just a hint of sarcasm. My bad.
    Last edited by nighthawk; 02-18-2009 at 11:11 PM.