+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage Z-axis

Default Sage Z-axis

With the Sage Z-axis what line are users of them here using? I just picked up a used one in a 8'6" 4wt-4pc, from what I understand most recommend using a Rio Grand or Rio Gold. I'm not going to be using this for a big gun, mainly 20'- 40'.
    Thanks
    Last edited by catman; 02-18-2009 at 03:42 PM.
    I was born at night, but not last night.
    Odds are with the prepared...

Lightbulb My 0.02$

Personal preference ... since I use mostly SA lines, I would use the Sharkskin WF on it. The Mastery series "feel" heavier to me, I don't know why.

Because of the "shorter" distances you mention, a WF is (IMHO) easier to cast than the DT lines (as the weight on the DT won't be fully out there.
    Sharkskins by SA

Oh, ... try to test a Sharkskin before buying one. I love 'em, ... but some just can't stand the sound it makes (more pronounced "noise" than a Ridgeline).

Sorry, I really don't use any other lines.
    Christopher Chin

Thumbs up

I have a 3wt Z-Axis and use Orvis WF lines. They work fine in that range and will easily shoot out twice that far with the Z-Axis. Best Regards.....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

I have a 9 ft. 4wt (2-piece) Z-axis and I use a WF4 Orvis line.

Lightbulb

I just picked up a 9' 4wt Z-Axis myself and paired it with a WF Airflo Ridge line which seems like a pretty good match.
    The rod has a relatively soft tip for as fast as it is and loads pretty quick up close, I used it most of the day yesterday and it seemed pretty effortless nymphing with it up close.

So far so good.

I have a Z-Axis 690-4. I use SA GPX WF and SA Sharkskin WF. Like Chris mentioned, try Sharksin first. The sound is not for eveyone. I like the way it shoots through the guides.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I like the SA Mastery GPX Dry Tip WF on my fast action rods including my 8.5' 4wt Z-Axis. It loads very well in close and easily past the 40' range you specified. The GPX is heavier than a standard 4wt line which is probably why it loads better in close than my other 4wt lines.

I find myself casting beyond 40' enough to warrant the expense of this line. If you really cast 40' or less you may want something less expensive. Maybe an oversized Hook&Hackle line would work for you. Or, maybe a discontinued Rio, Orvis, SA,.. model from last year. You can find them at Feather-Craft, Sierra Trading Post and other sites.

Sharkskin does send the line flying but I'm not sure you'll really benefit from that enough at the distances you specified. I'm an intermediate caster at best and I can roll or overhead cast to that range with little effort on the Mastery GPX. Sharkskin really shines when you're shooting line plus it has that distinctive sound. I've only tried sharkskin and I don't own it so I'm only speaking from very limited knowledge on that line.
    Last edited by gzacckey; 02-18-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Default Mastery Trout DT

I started with my Z-Axis using a WF Mastery GPX. I thought that it was a little heavy for my 5wt. I switched over to a Mastery Trout DT and it made all the difference in the world. From what I've heard Sage made the rod with the intention of using an exact line weight. The half weight heavy lines like the GPX and Rio Grand Max are just a tad heavy for my liking. To someone that is a little less used to line feel a heavier line probably wouldn't be too bad. I played with my stroke quite a bit and I just couldn't get that bounce back eliminated with the heavy lines. The DT Mastery Trout cured that almost completely.

This is MHO,

Rich

Default z-axis fly line

You shouldn't need a particularly firm or expensive line for the 20-40' casting. Our tests in this distance range show barely any difference. Remember, a better line (whatever that is) will NOT make a better caster! Practice and fishing are what makes the biggest difference. Enjoy!

Ron

The Z-Axis isn't a really fast rod (not as fast as the XP was) IMO... I don't find that it performs well over lined (GPX, Gold, Grand). On my 390-4 I like TT, Trout DT, or Selective Trout WF depending on where, when and how I'm fishing it. In 5-7 wts I use TT or Tactical Ridge.
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

+ Reply to Thread