Tom,

Charts are fine, but only scratch the surface of the concept of the Clouser.

Clousers are a great fly precisely because you can 'adjust' them to fit certain applications.

You can adjust the bulk of the flie's materials, which can change both it's silhouette and how it falls.

You can adjust the placement of the eyes on the shank, more forward and the fly will dive more nose first when it's paused, back farther and the fly will drop more horizontal, etc.

You can adjust the weight of the eyes. Heavier weights will give you a more 'active' fly, lighter ones will give you a more subtle fly. For the same retrieve speed, heavier flies will run deeper (but not as much as you'd think).

Like Tailingloop, I use weighted lines to achieve depth most times. I use weight on the fly itself to fine tune it's ACTION.

So, when I decide what weight eyes to use on a Clouser, it depends on what that fly is intended to do. A fly that I may want to fish fast in shallow water for active fish will get heavier eyes than one I want to work slowly deep in cold water.

A small fly with heavier weigth will drop faster. A large fly with lighter weight will glide in the water. Combine this with where on the shank you put the eyes, sparser or bulkier materials, and you can fine tune the action of the fly to suit particular applications.

ALWAYS use a loop knot to attach a Clouser to your line.

Buddy