+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Butchering a Sink Tip

Default Butchering a Sink Tip

So, I have a brand new Rio 200 Grain sink tip that I probably can't return because I ordered it last year and it's just been sitting around. I want to fish it on a 6 wt. GLX mostly for streamers. Do you think that if I cut off the tip of the line and cut part of the sinkning taper off that the line will still turn over OK? Do you think it will still perform allright? It's got a 24' sinking tip. Should I scrap this idea and sell the line and get a new one that weighs 150 grains?

Cutting the line would probably ruin the profile, so I'd go for selling the line to recoupe part of your losses...

------------------
    Work is a means for people to afford their fishing.

CUT IT! I've got a SA wet tip express 150 that put too much bend in my four weight. I cut the first six feet off and it works just fine. Need less room to back-cast too.

Most important thing to remember is that you cant put it back once you cut it. I wouldn't cut more than five feet off of that thing and would start by cutting about 3 or 4 off first. Your GLX won't feel like a GLX anymore, but casting a bigger loop with those lines ain't a bad thing.

Why not try the line on your 6wt? You might like it. I have used a Teeny T-200, which I believe is a similar line, on a 6wt. Teeny recommends his T-200 line for 5-8wt rods.

------------------
    Joe

The T 200 is the gold standard for Alaska. Book a trip up there and use it on your new 8 weight and treat yourself to a wet tip (10ft.) that matches your rod they are much easier to cast. sounds like a win win to me!!

I have another idea. Why not just put in an epoxy loop splice and make an interchangable shooting head set-up with it? That way you'll still have the 200-grain shooting head. All you need to do is buy a 30' 7 or 8-wt shooting head and chop it down to 24 feet (need to go by grains per foot to do this). You could also get a 300 and 400 grain set-up to fish anywhere in the Pacific Northwest.

Just an idea. Some people don't like the loop-to-loop thing and if you don't do it right it can break. But I really like it and your 200 grain line would be pretty much the same as you bought it.

A 200-grain 24' shooter will cast OK for me on some 6-wts (like my 10' loomis GLX) and not so good on others (like me 9' Sage SP). But it wouldn't hurt to cast it and see if it works with the 6-wt before you cut it.

Good luck,

-John

just to clarify, i meant to cut it rather than sell it. I also agree to try intact it before you do anything. You can cut more, but you can't put it back. (why do i feel like I'm teaching a deer hair spinning class?)

+ Reply to Thread