I'm sure that almost all of us have this in common - not only hundreds of flies in our fly boxes, but probably a hundred different patterns as well. I know that we've had discussions about "must have" flies in the past, but I want to resurrect that discussion just a bit.
So, here goes...

For trout fishers - if you had to limit your fly box to just 10 patterns total (traditional drys, nymphs, streamers, buggers, terrestrials, spinners, wets, emergers, etc), what would you pick?

In your response, please indicate where you fish (Eastern US, Western US, Kamloops, Catskills, mountain freestones, limestone creeks, spring creeks, tailwaters, etc... be as specific or as vague as you wish).

The genesis of this discussion this time around... a tying buddy suggested that we focus in on mastering just 10 patterns this year (multiple sizes are okay). Now, the real challenge will be not carrying dozens of different patterns, but this is what I'll be tying exclusively (almost - I'll still tie for swaps -- and this doesn't apply to smallmouth flies or saltwater files) this year for trout.

Region: Eastern US (VA, MD, WV mountain freestones and tailwaters mainly)

1. Adams parachute
2. Blue winged olive parachute
3. Royal Wulff
4. Elk Hair Caddis
5. BH Pheasant Tail Nymph
6. BH Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymph
7. Prince Nymph
8. Peacock/Grizzley Woolly Bugger
9. Deer Hair Hopper
10. Lt. Cahill wet/emerger
This was a tough exercise for me, because it leaves out some go-to flies like an ant, sulpher, san juan worm, Mr. Rapidan, March Brown, caddis nymphs, stimulator, etc...

So, if you could only tie/carry 10 fly patterns, what would they be?