+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trim wraps

Unhappy Trim wraps

I live in Colorado and fish many high alpine lakes and streams. I always wanted to build my own pack rod and I received a 5 piece 5 wt 8' 6" rod for Christmas. I have been working on the rod over the past few weekends little by little and now have the guides in place. The wraps look pretty good and I may rewrap a few before adding the finish- too much of a perfectionist. I'm trying to add trim wraps and not having any luck. I wrap 2 turns and add the loop and make 3 more turns. I pull the tag under the wraps and try to snug the wraps and it wants to unravel . I watched a couple of videos on the web and they make this look easy. What in the world am I doing wrong here? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Pat
    Last edited by Burnsy; 02-16-2009 at 02:17 AM.

Try tying in the starting end/tag of your trim under the last few turns of your wrap so it is secured and /or also place the loop under the first wrap of your trim so that when you pull the end back through with the loop it will be under several wraps of thread -- and be sure you are pulling in the opposite directions.

Smile Greetings

Burnsy -

Can't help you on your question, since I have avoided trim wraps on the three rods I've built in the name of simplicity.

Just wanted to extend greetings and a welcome from SE Idaho.

Since you've been a BB member for several months, you probably already know what a great place this is.

Certainly, someone will come along shortly with a good solution to the problem you've been having. Looking forward to the suggestions, since I might consider trim wraps on the next rod I do, probably another bamboo sometime over the summer.

John
    The fish are always right.

I'm with Orthoman on this one. I love doing trim wraps (I call them tipping) on my rods. I think they make the rods look "Old Timey."

Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Lotech

You gotta quit posting pictures of that Lamiglass...it's driving me nuts!

Burnsy

Here is what I do. Remember this is how I do it, not the end all cure.
    I start just as you describe. The only difference is I leave the tag ends of the thread long. Long enough to grab and pull on after the trim band is wrapped. After the trim band is wrapped, I use my fingernail to sung the trim wrap against the main wrap. I then grab the long ends of the trim wrap ant pull them very snug. You will learn quickly how much pressure the thread will take. after snuging up the wrap, I trim the tag ends to 1/2" long. After all the guides are wrapped, I apply a thinned coat of finish, leaving the tag ends exposed. After the first coat dries, I go back with a SHARP knife and trim the tag ends and any other imperfections in the wrap, then apply the final coat(s) of finish.

I hope this helps...

Brad

Blog Entries

I use very thin trim wraps (3 at the most and usually 2). I basically tie a really short nail knot and leave the longer ends attached. I snug the band up, then I put a small drop of CP on the trim band at the point where the ends cross. I should note that usually my trim bands are metallic, so the CP has no effect. Then after the CP dries, I go back with a razor blade and cut the tag ends back where they emerge, and then I'm ready for finish. Works like a charm.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Default Nail Knot

I use the same method as Ol' Blue and it works great. I usually just put trim on the butt section of my rod.

I do the same thing as Orthoman and Lotech on this. Works great, just have to think a little ahead.

Beaver

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try this weekend.
    Pat

Kaboom1,
    I gotta go fish it. I haven't yet. I REALLY need the snow to go away.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread