+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lure Storage Idea

Default Lure Storage Idea

Please don't exile me from FAOL for the folowing idea. After fishing almost exclusively with the long rod for the last several years I decided that I would get some bass plugs and give them a try. I obtained a bunch of plugs and was stuck with how to store them in the tackle box without getting them marred/scratched up.

My solution was to case the lures in those pieces of foam pipe designed to protect water pipes from freezing. Works pretty good & the little scraps of foam can be cut into ants, beetles, etc.

Tim

Wink Banned

Tim -

Maybe you should post your personal email address or snailmail address so we'll know how to contact you ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Tim,
    That is interesting that you and I both found a use for that tubing. I bought a six ft. length and tucked all my surround sound wires into it, and it looks a lot neater.
    P.S. If you get banned, here's my E-Mail: peacebrother929@hotmail.com
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I have been fishing for bass with a spinning rod/reel for over 50 years and continue to do so when the fancy strikes me. I find that a traditional tackle box stores the lures without them getting too damaged wile giving you easy access to them when you need it. I would think that the foam pipe wrap would present a couple of problems right off the bat:

1.The hooks will catch on the foam making it difficult to get the lures out and eventually ruining the foam lure keepers.
    2. The foam will not allow the water to evaporate caausing the hooks/hardware to rust fairly quickly.
    3. You will need some way to store and transport the foam lure cases i.e. a tackle box.

Just a couple of thoughts...

Jim Smith

I store all my plugs in Plano boxes. That's pretty standard.

Man they are just Bass Plugs, if your not beating them up fishing them your not fishing.
    Remember we all live down stream

Storing them in tackle boxs is ok the finish will get beat up more from the rocks-stumps-
    hopefully fish!
    I do my own hand carving and keep them in plastic boxs in my plug bag.
    Use them and when they get beat up to bad refinish them or make another!!

Wet

Tim,
    Here is an old Rapala: http://www.pixelarchitecture.com/todd/rapala01.jpg
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Jim. Thanks for the comments. I cut the piping so there will be adequate ventilation. I will keep your thoughts in mind and if I see that my idea has holes in it (pun intended) I will try something else.

To you guys who think I am going overboard on protected these lures all I can say is they are my toys.

Thanks everybody.

Tim

It would seem to me that the foam will take up a lot of space, but if it works...

In my searches over the years I have also came up on some other ideas:

Clear plastic tubing availiable at most hardware stores: comesi different diameters, it's clear so you can see the contents, will not retain water, allows ventilation when properly cut, will not snag hooks and will not break.

Used prescription bottles - waterproov as they are or if you drilll few small holes they can be "ventilated" - similar advange as above and a lot of "seasoned" andlers have a lot of them for free...

And of course there are these: http://www.planomolding.com/tackle/products.asp

few years back Shimano I think used to make molded boxes just for plugs I have three and I love them maybe you can find some of them on eBay?
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread