+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orvis lines?

Hybrid View

Default Orvis lines?

I bought their Gen3 9wt Clear Intermediate 2 seasons ago and the line is way to stiff for me. They said they will exchange it for another. I'm looking at the saltwater floater. Anybody use it and have an opinion?

Thanks

Default Stiff lines

The stiffer lines are best for really fast rods. If you use a relatively stiff line on a moderate to med fast rod, you won't get optimal performance and you'll be wasting money. Hope that helps.

Ron

Stiffer lines are also good in really warm weather, as soft lines are better suited to very cold weather.

When and where will you be doing most of your fishing? What rod will you be using? What flies will you be throwing?

Quote Originally Posted by hackleman57 View Post
    The stiffer lines are best for really fast rods. If you use a relatively stiff line on a moderate to med fast rod, you won't get optimal performance and you'll be wasting money. Hope that helps.

Ron
    That was my experience as well. I went to SA Ultra 4 for slow action warmwater and have been very pleased with a more supple line. Now looking at Rio Classic for a med fast 5 wgt. Haven't heard much about it though.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

I threw this on a 9wt Crosscurrent GLX from spring thru late fall. Biggest problem was coiling in my stripping basket mo matter what the air or water temos were. I really stretched the line and it was great for about 20 minutes then back to the coiling.

Quote Originally Posted by allen View Post
    I threw this on a 9wt Crosscurrent GLX from spring thru late fall. Biggest problem was coiling in my stripping basket mo matter what the air or water temos were. I really stretched the line and it was great for about 20 minutes then back to the coiling.
    That isn't the line. Most of the intermediates lines all do that. Switch to a type 2 sinking line and you won't have that problem anymore.

Been casting the Orvis Generation 3 WF-9-I on a T3 for a few summers & it isn't all that stiff in the summer snookin' on the beach. Maybe 90 + degree temps make it alot limper, because when it was new out of the box ( no box ) it made the flyrod really come to life

Quote Originally Posted by allen View Post
    I bought their Gen3 9wt Clear Intermediate 2 seasons ago and the line is way to stiff for me. They said they will exchange it for another. I'm looking at the saltwater floater. Anybody use it and have an opinion?

Thanks
    I have used the Orvis gen 3 floater for two yrs. now and found it great for the cold waters here in the Northeast fishig for stripers. Just my .02. rel

+ Reply to Thread