+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use an Eagle Claw Featherweight?

Hybrid View

Default Anyone use an Eagle Claw Featherweight?

6.6 or 7' Models?

Opinions asked.

Still trying to get my feet wet on 'glass and these might fit the bill.

nighthawk Guest

I assume you are talking about the fiberglass yellow rods? I have one of each and love them. They have HUGE guides on them with a SLOW action. I have tossed weights from 2wt-7wt on them. Works best for me with a 4wt-5wt rocket taper. Just remember to slow down that casting stroke. These are great rods for bluegills, bass and trout. Parabolic, lightweight and plenty of power. Great price too so what's not to like?

These rods, to me, are fun to fish.

Yup, the yellow, 'glass ones...all I hear is good things...should just do it BUT we all know how a small purchase tends to lead to others...

Have a couple small water s in mind for them...thinking the 7' and throwing a 6 on it or the 6 6 and a 4

This rod definitely has some fans. Here's a thread from another board discussing it:

http://ozarkanglers.com/forums/index...80&mode=linear

Troutlet.com sells them. There are lots of reviews of the rod there.

I have a couple, they don't cast all that great, but they are great for small brushy areas where you might have a concern for a good rod.
    I use mine for deep nymphing because I don't have to cast.

I don't think they are the best example of fiberglass, but they can be fun.
    If you want to get into glass, you might want to raise the cash a little, but for $14.+ bucks what the heck

They bend good

Default Be mindful...

If you don't like the rods just know that they are a poor example of fiberglass fly rods. A thirty year old Fenwick FF70 (you can throw a 5 or 6 wt. and depending on the line a 4 wt as well) that only cost $60-70 will put the Eagle Claw to shame. That said, the cheap price is surely attractive. I fish fiberglass way more than graphite and have sold most of my graphite rods.

AND in a 6 weight, check out the W.W.Griggs Vinatge. It is actually a combination of both materials so faster than "S" glass, but what a nice action.

I have even picked it up over my JWF on allot of occasions

Default Like 'em

I like these slow blanks/rods. They're fun and you can control them easily. They make you slow down and you can actually feel the pole load. I've said this before, and will continue to say it, but most all different blanks can be fun and have their own personalities. With a few minutes of practice, you should be able to cast it just fine. And I think that if you're new, these slow ones are even easier to learn on. Good luck.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by hackleman57 View Post
    I like these slow blanks/rods. They're fun and you can control them easily. They make you slow down and you can actually feel the pole load. I've said this before, and will continue to say it, but most all different blanks can be fun and have their own personalities. With a few minutes of practice, you should be able to cast it just fine. And I think that if you're new, these slow ones are even easier to learn on. Good luck.

Ron

Hackleman, Assuming you are still talking Eagle Claw, I agree that SLOW action is the best to learn as you do learn to wait for it and feel the ROD load.
    But, you have to admit, the SIZE of these guides and the NUMBER or LACK OF, that the Eagle Claw is not a CASTING stick. Oh it can be done, but I have also had newbie students get frustrated BECAUSE, they don't load up great. Plus they HINGE.
    I would recommend one to an experienced cast, because they are a BLAST!

Did I mention...I love the bend!

Default Agree with FG

FG, I agree with you about the size and number of guides. But we can always fix that if you like the blank.

Ron

+ Reply to Thread