Gem,

This time of year most of the warm water fishing is going to be a little on the slow side. For the most part, gills and bass are going to very selective of what they take in cold water. Gills will be a little easier than bass this time of year.

As for flies to bring for fishing in the winter months, I tend to stick with the basic nymphs such as BH Prince (personal favorite for gills,) BH Gold Ribbed Hairs Ear, and BH Pheasant Tails.

I also like to hav a few small clousers with some sparse red dubbing tied behind the eyes with a very little red flash material in the body tye works well. Mostly I find that the red is used to simulate an injured and bleeding fish, and I fish the clousers accordingly.

Woolly buggers are also a good to have in the box, but I like to have them in bright colors (white or chatreuse are really good.)

Finally, a few poppers should be in the box. During the cooler months, I don't bring large poppers as I find they make to much noise and tend to spook fish. I like size 8 - 10 gill type poppers best. Colors to use white, yellow, or chartruse bodies with black or matching color tails work well. But the popper color that tends to work best during the color months (for me at least) is all black!!!

Now for the hard part, as a trout bum, I am sure you are used to using small flies (size 14 - 20.) On gills and bass, it is best to not use flies smaller than size 10! Gills tend to inhale their food, and small flies tend to go right into the gullet. Most of my nymphs are in size 8 and 10. The woolly's tend to be around size 8 - 10 as well.

Also plan on using a strike indicator wih the nymphs. Most of the takes in the colder months will be rather soft and subtle.

Look for most of your fish to be tight to cover and in deeper water this time of year. Bass and gills will feed year round, but expect the fishing to be a little slow.

Let us know how it goes!

Sincerely,
Reg