+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rod Building

Default 4 versus 2 piece

A 4-piece rod only has 2 more wraps than a 2-piece rod, and they're easier because there are no guides involved. I would not make a decision because of these extra wraps. Build the rod you think you want to own and fish.

Ron

I was in Sportsmans Warehouse the other day. I live far away from there. But I remember looking at two light beighe..?....almond colored rods....one a 4wt and one a 3wt. Each only $37! And they felt very light weight and nice. Wish I had picked one up for my arsenal. Don't think you can purchase parts and build one that cheap...and it is already assembled. Should do plenty well for Bluegill and Panfish.

Btw I didn't catch WHY you want to build a rod? Could have a lot to do with if you even want to try.

I would check out the rod I spoke of at Sportsmans...however I don't remember the name on the rod.

Gemrod

Quote Originally Posted by Gemrod View Post
    I was in Sportsmans Warehouse the other day. I live far away from there. But I remember looking at two light beighe..?....almond colored rods....one a 4wt and one a 3wt. Each only $37! And they felt very light weight and nice. Wish I had picked one up for my arsenal. Don't think you can purchase parts and build one that cheap...and it is already assembled. Should do plenty well for Bluegill and Panfish.

Btw I didn't catch WHY you want to build a rod? Could have a lot to do with if you even want to try.

I would check out the rod I spoke of at Sportsmans...however I don't remember the name on the rod.

Gemrod
    I build rods for the same reason I tie flies. Because I like to. If you factor in the value of your time, I don't think rod building really makes any economic sense. But if you factor in the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment, priceless.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

assembling the components of a graphite flyrod takes relatively little time. as such it is economical.

Default It's fun and involving

Many folks are attracted to fly fishing because they can participate in so many different aspects. You can study bugs, make flies, study the fish, make rods, and so on.

Tying flies is not necessarily a money saving pasttime. Building rods can save you money under some circumstances, but most people do it because it's enjoyable.

I believe that when we do these things ourselves, we are creating value for ourselves. And when we do these things for others, we are creating value for their lives.

Enjoy!

Ron

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Well said Ron........

+ Reply to Thread