+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod Building

Default Rod Building

Hello,

I am wondering what the best rod building kit for under 200 dollars. I want a five wt rod . I was looking at the GL3 rods by G. Loomis. Is it worth ti to build your own rod.

Hook and Hackle has the best prices for a kit 5 weight. Check out their site and if you have any questions call. they are wonderful to talk to. Is it worth it to build your own rod. I think so yes but that is just me. It depends on what you want out of a rod. Cost wise your time is worth something. That being said think about this. You are fly fishing your favorite spiecies with a rod you built yourself, leader you did yourself, and a fly you tied. You catch a fish. How much money would you spend for that. Me that is priceless. We all have our own opinions on building and I hope others express theirs here. My advise GO FOR IT!!!

WAY too much is dependent upon LOTS of data you didn't provide ... type of waterbody, species of fish, type of fly, experience level, etc.

Your question CAN be answered properly with more information.

TJ -

Hello,

Mostly smaller rivers maybe some lake fishing. I will be fishing trout and bluegill. As for flies i fish everything.

you did pick a good blank to start with,now putting it together is something else,go for it

IMO, spend just a tad bit more money and buy a St Croix SCIII 4-piece. It IS a better blank than the GL3, especially in lower line classes AND you will VERY much appreciate the four-piece design over the two-piece option.

BTW, if you really have to stay under $200 and you don't mind an offshore blank ... look at TFO's Professional Series.

Default Yes!

Take your time on the wrapping. Make sure it is as close to perfect as you think you can get before you apply the epoxy. Easy to back up before the epoxy. Practicing on a dowel could help. Also, taper the guide feet well. Before long you could be building rods with better workmanship than you can buy.

Default One more tip

Good lighting is a must if you're going to do good (or even decent) work.

Greybeard

A couple of rods I did, I was having trouble getting the thread to "jump" up onto the guide foot, then finally figured out that you need to taper the foot horizontally as well as vertically, that is you want the foot to come to a point, but you also want the area over the point to be quite thin.

Default start

The GL3 rod is a great rod to start with, it was my first build. I wrapped and unwrapped the guides a few times until I had something I was satisfied with. You will end up with a functional fishing rod that fishes well. The GL3 is a good value in my opinion.

Bill

+ Reply to Thread