+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hopper patterns.

Default hopper patterns.

Hello,

I am currently working on a hopper imitation. I used ultra chenille for a body, pheasent tail for a wing case or over body, and brown hackle up by the eye. Any one have some sugestions or criticisom. Thanks.

Blog Entries

no real suggestions here. hoppers are pretty easy to come up with. just make sure all the main "hopper" aspects are there. i.e legs, wing, body, head. and really going from that, you can come up with any number of hopper patterns that will still work well. hoppers can be wonderfully effective for most freshwater species, and most fish actually aren't to picky with them.
    just be creative and and fun with it.

is there any better material for a wing.

Quote Originally Posted by cdpaul View Post
    Hello,

I am currently working on a hopper imitation. I used ultra chenille for a body, pheasent tail for a wing case or over body, and brown hackle up by the eye. Any one have some sugestions or criticisom. Thanks.
    It doesn't sound like it'll float, to be honest.

Chenille sucks up water and the wing isn't going to really help. Maybe the head will stay up.

That was my first thought, Steve.

cdpaul, I like foam pattern hoppers.

I don't do much with chenile - mostly big nymphs. Wondering if it will sink your hopper ???
    The fish are always right.

What material do you recomend to substitute chenille besides foam. Would it be better if I palmered the body with hackle and do the head.

cd ...alot of people consider a yellow stimulator a hopper pattern...

and don't forget to check the FOTW archieves here.

I have some foam but it is in green, blue, and pink. What color do you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by cdpaul View Post
    What material do you recomend to substitute chenille besides foam. Would it be better if I palmered the body with hackle and do the head.
    Dubbing works.

Real hoppers float low in the water. In turbulent water they suspend just below the surface and then float again just at the surface as the water smooths out. When they drown, they eventually sink slowly to the bottom. Hoppers and crickets, ARE very strong swimmers though. Sometimes when they are abundant, a drowned version or a floater softly waked will be the only way to draw strikes, especially from pressured fish.

Just fish the chenille versions under the surface, it will frustrate you much more trying to float it.

My favorite pattern is a dubbed body fat in the butt and thining to the the front. long knotted phesant tail legs, a thick dubbed thorax of a contrasting color hackled heavily. A long thick wing of deer or elk hair tied just like an elk hair caddis. The head clipped the same size as the thorax. I tie these on a long curved hook. The body sticks below the surface and the wing floats on the surface with the hackle helping keep just the head in the film. You have to blow it out or blot it ever couple of casts to keep the wing floating, but man does it raise fish in the summer. It also keeps you from froathing the water and makes you concentrate on where you want to place it. Ah, hopper fishing at its finest. It's only February and I'm dreaming of July already!

+ Reply to Thread