Thread: do you fish bamboo?

Threaded View

1. Default Fishing Bamboo rods

I fish Bamboo only, a 6.8 ft. 4/5 weight, a 7.4 ft. 3 weight, an 8.0 ft. 6 weight, and a 10 ft. 8/9 weight. All rods with 2 slightly different action tips for each rod. I have a balanced reel with extra spool matched lines for each rod. Now here comes the good part, it's a mentality that is difficult to overcome for most people because we are first never happy with anything and secondly we tend to do what manufactures tell us to do.
    It's very strange that people convince themselves that they can't afford a $600 Bamboo Rod but they will allow themselves to buy a $600 Graphite Rod knowing they are paying up front for 6 Carbon tips they haven't broken yet.
    In the beginning we just wanted to catch a fish now we feel the need to be trendy and stylish as well. Kind of ironic that so many fly fishers feel the need to have Bamboo, Fiberglass, Boron, and Carbon Fiber rods in their arsenal for the weekend warrior games.
    When Makers began the transition from Bamboo to fiberglass they made them to look like bamboo, then Steel rods made to look like Bamboo, now to Graphite known as Hexograph made to look like Bamboo, do you see a pattern forming here. Today we have more Bamboo rod makers in the history of America smak in the middle of a Carbon Fiber Fly Rod Boom and it looks like Bamboo will be around for a while longer. On my favorite fishing shirt says on the front "I'm not Afraid to Fly" on the back it just says "BAMBOOM"
    Pass this on to as many people as you like, tight lines = Mike
    PS; I'm pretty sure people caught a lot of Trout & Salmon before Graphite!
    Last edited by Mike Simcik; 03-20-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: addition