+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start / go?

Default Where to start / go?

I am interested in taking the plunge and trying to catch bone fish.

I have read Dick Browns book and he describes many places to go.

What would you more experienced bone fishermen recommend for a neophyte in this area of fishing. I know how to cast and have fished fresh water in lots of different places.

Where would you recommend going for the first trip -- in country of out of the country and do any of you have any recommendations for guides and outfitters in these locations. Part of my concern is booking with a hot shot guide and only pissing him off because I don't know what I am doing with these fish.

Thank you

Cool 1st Timer

Orthoman....
    If you are a newby to Bonefish, best stay away from Florida. It is the Graduate School of Bonefishing. You may only get one of two shots a day and if you blow them the guides down there WILL yell at you.
    The Bahamas can be good but travel is iffy. They go by Bahamas time which is whenever the hell they are ready.
    You best bet is either the Yucatan or Belize. Lots of average sized fish and you will do well.
    I prefer Belize because they speak English there and the food is more compatible to my tastes.
    You say, "I know how to cast and have fished fresh water in lots of different places."
    Does this include the double haul and casting into a 20 mile an hour wind ???
    You will need both.
    If you want to go 1st class, contact Turneffe Flats Resort. They are not cheap, but have some of the best guides around and will get you into fish.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

Yes sir -- have fished a couple of years in Patagonia part of Chile where the 20 MPH wind is an everyday occurance and a double hauling a sinking tip line is also common.

I will be attending the fly fishing show in the next couple of weeks and I thin the Turneffe Flats resort will be there. Hoping to have a chance to talk to them and others.

Any thoughts on Christmas Island??

Thank you for your input. I do appreciate the response. I hope others will also respond.

Cool Bone Fish

Go on the internet and check Salty Feather, Jacksonville, Fla. trips for some great bone fish trips, guided by David. Good people and economical, 3-5 day trips, first day guided, the rest guided or either alone. Mucho flats, watch the weather and plan accordingly.

good luck,
    Shacked
    Shacked

Giving money and power to government is like giving
    whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    -P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

Since you are from California, probable cheaper to go straight south for you. Christmas can be,,, a long way off, very primitive, tiny fish. Shop that 'show' really hard, should be some bargains,,,look for half off. Take extra flies, lines ect. on your trip.
    Even though I am straight north of you,,, my choice would be Andros Island. Long story, wind velocity and direction involved. More places to fish down there. If you need,,, call me.

Blog Entries

and don't be afraid to try Florida--cheap to get to and stay in. see PM
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Default here is a place folks might not think about

Wow,,, those are some huge bonz.

I stayed in San Pedro in Ambergris Caye in Belize---thousands of bonefish, on the smallish side. Florida Key's fish are a lot bigger but sparcer at least when I have fished for them.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Wow,,, those are some huge bonz.
    yes, the site says a 7 wt. for calm days but I try to imagine a 12 - 15 lb. bonefish on a 7 wt. and I start to sweat really bad.

+ Reply to Thread