+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glass Build Blank ???'s

Hybrid View

Default Glass Build Blank ???'s

OK, anyone care to compare Lamiglas Honey to the Batson SPG blanks?

Both are e-glass, perhaps it would be a question of ascetics only?

Also in the SPG's. is there any info on who might make a rod on these blanks, as in pre-made?

I am wondering due to the added expense of shipping a 6' blank. Hoping maybe there is a big box, basic spin rod built on these blanks.

Wanting to build a 4-6 wt. in the 6-7' range BUT not wanting to spend very much as I am not sure on glass rods...only cast one HEAVY, 9' Shakespeare that was a telephone pole....it was "guesed to be" an 8 wt...but it seemed to eat up WF8, wanting more....needless to say, that rod was sold long ago.

Looking for a close work rod.

In answer to your question as best I can. Lamiglass is going to have a smaller diamiter the the spg's. This equates into less weight. Also one thing to consider is the about of fibers vs resin. The lighter the rod the more fibers the more stronger. That being said compared to the spg's lamiglass is expensive. You have to ask yourself a few questions. Am I going to use this rod a lot or a little. How much do I really want to spend on the rod. Lamiglass is going to come with the ferrules installed. with the spg's you have to iinstall them unless you find a 2 piece blank (good luck with that). If you are not concerned about the materials used (cork, reelseat, etc) you can build one for the cost of a lamiglass blank. In a short rod I don't think the weight will come into play that much, but if you have physical impairments a ounce can seem like a pound after a hours worth of fishing. I am just getting into the world of eglass spinning rods turned into flyrods. Tell ya what. I am in the tadpole swap. I will be doing 2 rods one for the swap and the other for myself. If you just want a basic rod I will build it for $50.00 plus shipping for ya. Should be a 5 weight when finished. This is built on a spg780 blank.

harleybob, your offer is way too generous and appreciated..I'll pass because, I have a broken three weight with all the components needed for the new build.

If the SPG 780 is about a 5 wt...should I choose one a little lighter for a 4 wt?

Obvious question, I suppose...but I dunno...

Great info on the Lami vs. Batson...makes good sense and I guess I will start with the Batson, if I like glass, the Lami.

ok in looking at the blanks and doing a hail mary guess LOL I think the spg 720 may do a 4 weight. If it was me and I was fishing brushy streams and small streams I might even drop down to the SPG601. It is only 5 ft and may not have to be cut if you wanted a 2 piece. It would fit in a car ok full length and I would think it would be a 4 weight. Once again I am just guessing. Either way what ever you buy try acidrod.com. They are not the fastest in the world of getting the stuff shipped but they do charge actuall shipping cost. the SPG601 is $8.84, the SPG 720 is $9.99 and the SPG 780 is $10.67. Another sorce is H&H one of our sponsers here. You may give Ron a call and inquire what he could get them for you for. Great team over there and a pleasure to talk to. Hope this helps and as always feel free to ask any questions you may have.

brhoff

You need to understand that the Batson SPG blanks are designed to be spinning blanks...NOT fly blanks. A few people including our own Jim Flamming have made fly rods from them and for the money, are GREAT little rods. Check the Readers Casts for Jim's article.

It is my belief that the lightest weight that they will build is a 4 weight. If you are wanting anything lighter in glass, buy a glass blank designed to be a fly rod.

YMMV

Brad

Default Right on, Brad

The SPG is very popular as a 4 weight, but I would never talk anyone out of "overlining" by one weight. (And for those of you who want to cast better, try overlining before you think it's necessary to spen $75-100 for a new fly line that won't help much anyway.)

For an inexpensive "close in" rod to build, consider a 7'6" 4 weight -- and use a lower modulus graphite. It'll be much lighter than the glass blank and, in my opinion, easier to cast for long periods of time. Mod-fast graphite won't cost that much -- ask Brad and he'll tell you who to call!

Reccomendation accepted, will have to think on it a bit though...no need to call, I'll place the order online when I decide.

Probably makes more sense to have the 2 piece but really want to try out some glass some time...decisions, decisions...

I have been making rods on the spg blanks for a couple of years now. The lightest blank is the 780. The 720 makes a better 5wt. The 780 makes a good 4 or 5wt. I have one for sale on my site that I extended to 7' for a 4/5 wt. As far as your question, the spg's are faster than Lamiglas blanks, which I also offer.

Thanks Mike B.

That stick looks really nice, the ones I build don't look so good but so far they all have functioned...will have to think more on this...sure don't "need" a new rod to build now but it is on the radar.

+ Reply to Thread